• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased husband's debts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lesliealfonso

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ontario, Canada

My husband passed away 3 months ago. He had 1 credit card debt of 15k and a car loan. The car was re-possesed and sold and the balance which I have been asked to pay is 13k.

We owned a house under joint tenancy valued at 185k against which there was a mortgage of 182k.

I received his insurance (since I was the beneficiary) of 250k out of which I paid off the mortgage and have about 35k left after paying off joint debt and funeral expenses. I also was the beneficiary of his RRSP and received 12k which I rolled into my RRSP to avoid paying taxes. He left behind no other estate and I do not plan to get an administrator appointed.

Am I legally bound to pay his credit card debt and the vehicle loan? My annual income is around 25k.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">