• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deceased MIL, what are our responsibilities

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rbfour

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?State=GA
My 90 year old mother in law passed recently. My wife is an only child. My MIL had a low five digit credit card debt. She owned no property and had no assets that I know of. She lived entirely on her social security retirement in a home we provided for her. What are our responsibilities as to filling probate and other legal forms regarding her death? If the credit card attorneys try to collect from me what action should I take then? What should I say to creditors when they contact us? Do I need an attorney? What legal procedure should the family take when the deceased has no property and this kind of debt. So far, we have done nothing other than sending each creditor a copy of the death certificate and a statement that there are no assets from which to make disbursements.

From the little that we have researched, my MIL purchased nothing in the last ten years on her credit cards. The large amounts she owed seem to have been generated from late fees, large interest rates and small minimum required payments.

S

seniorjudge

So far, we have done nothing other than sending each creditor a copy of the death certificate and a statement that there are no assets from which to make disbursements.

Good.

Keep copies of all that stuff in case they call you. They will try to shame you into paying the debt.

Do NOT talk to them.

rbfour

It that It?

It that all the "free advice" I'm going to get?
What about my other questions?
What are our responsibilities as to filling probate and other legal forms regarding her death? If the credit card attorneys try to collect from me what action should I take then? Do I need an attorney? What legal procedure should the family take when the deceased has no property and this kind of debt.

Dandy Don

If there are no assets then there is no need to file anything regarding probate.

You are not legally liable for the credit card debt, so you can ignore any attempts for collection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">