• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Declining to be executor/personal rep?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sdb720

What is the name of your state? Texas
How does a person decline to be appointed as executor/personal rep? What procedure or forms are used? No work has been started on probating the will yet.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sdb720 said:
What is the name of your state? Texas
How does a person decline to be appointed as executor/personal rep? What procedure or forms are used? No work has been started on probating the will yet.

My response:

Easy. You say you "don't accept", or you merely do nothing. No one can force you to work, or to accept an appointment that you don't want.

IAAL

sdb720

A little more info?

But if a family member -who is not a named pers rep, but who has agreed to be the pers rep - starts the probation process, how does the attorney, judge or whomever know that the named pers rep has really declined to be appointed? How do they know that the family member, who has the will, has even informed the named pers rep of the death?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

sdb720 said:
But if a family member -who is not a named pers rep, but who has agreed to be the pers rep - starts the probation process, how does the attorney, judge or whomever know that the named pers rep has really declined to be appointed? How do they know that the family member, who has the will, has even informed the named pers rep of the death?

My response:

First, it's not "probation" - - it's "probate".

Second, everyone who has an interest in the Estate (e.g., named heirs, or other family members that may not be named) gets served with a copy of the Petition by whomever is filing the Petition with the court. At the time of the first hearing, the court will know who, and who is not, becoming involved in the probate process when there's no response from any particular person; e.g., the named Executor. If that's the case, then the court merely appoints someone else who may want the role of Personal Representative. If no one wants that role, then the court appoints an attorney for the family and that attorney gets paid from the Estate.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">