• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

decreased fathers assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brianchd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? As

Hello....My father passed away in Reno Nv..I received a all from the medical examiner of the county. She told me my dad had written my name on a piece of paper along of where I lived and passed, (heart infection)...I called the hospital where he passed to get details...they lost all his belongings he had with him (wallet, clothes etc..)...didn't have an address... so I arranged a funeral home to have him come home to as and be buried with his mom..everything went fine and had nice service...I called the v.a hospital in reno because he was disabled veteran... he had been to the v.a hospital 2 days before he died..they gave me his address. I googled his address and it was an apartment.. I called the manager and explained what had happened, they told me he had moved out and was real sick..I am sure he may have had life insurance and a bank account...he lived on social security...I calledd the state of nv and they told me banks can take 5 years to declare an abandoned account...I had his mail forwarded to me and haven't received anything yet..how do I find his assets?...somone fold me I needed to contact probate court and see if anyone has filed for executer.. I did and nothing...someone also told me to go to s.s.office and they could tell me where they were making g the deposits..I am sure he may have had life insurance...... I don't know what to do?...help

tranquility

Finding assets is the executor's job. The first place I usually look is in the paperwork of the deceased. Tax returns are a great place to find assets, but anything can guide. If you need to really look hard, a private detective can be useful.

brianchd

Finding assets is the executor's job. The first place I usually look is in the paperwork of the deceased. Tax returns are a great place to find assets, but anything can guide. If you need to really look hard, a private detective can be useful.

I have no paperwork or anything...they said he moved before he died...(sounds shady to me)..still waiting on forwarded mail...how hard is is it to become executor?... he wrote my name and town I lived in and passed...j think he did this because he knew I would take care of everything..

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
By "As" do you mean "American Samoa"? If so, how do you expect to take care of your dad's stuff?

tranquility

Any interested party can open probate in the deceased's state of residence. The only real benefit that may give is the ability to get a transcript from the IRS. If you don't have or can't find dad's paperwork, you are going to have a long and sad journey to finding if there are assets out there.

brianchd

Any interested party can open probate in the deceased's state of residence. The only real benefit that may give is the ability to get a transcript from the IRS. If you don't have or can't find dad's paperwork, you are going to have a long and sad journey to finding if there are assets out there.
Sorry I live in As.....do I have to go to probate or can I go to social security office because he was on social most of his life show them my birth certificate and his death certificate..... there was no will...no paper

brianchd

Sorry I live in As.....do I have to go to probate or can I go to social security office because he was on social most of his life show them my birth certificate and his death certificate..... there was no will...no paper
Sorry again,, ARIZONA

Zigner

OP wants, after YEARS of no involvement what-so-ever with his dad, to find out where the money is.

brianchd

To maybe get info on what bank they were depositing into...
Zigner, what gives you the right to judge?.he walked out on a wife and 3 kids and never paid one dime of support to my mom...then 25 years later I get a call telling me that he passed and he wrote mg name and where I lived on price paper...

Zigner

Zigner, what gives you the right to judge?.he walked out on a wife and 3 kids and never paid one dime of support to my mom...then 25 years later I get a call telling me that he passed and he wrote mg name and where I lived on price paper...
So, after 25 years of no contact, you wish to find out where the money (if any) is, right?

tranquility

To maybe get info on what bank they were depositing into...
Let's pretend they give that to you. I don't know if they will, but, let's pretend. Now you go to the bank and they will tell you they can't give you any information unless you have the letters testamentary. You get those from opening probate.

Either do this or don't. You are not going to find out anything on your own that is useful until or unless you get his paperwork or open probate.

brianchd

Let's pretend they give that to you. I don't know if they will, but, let's pretend. Now you go to the bank and they will tell you they can't give you any information unless you have the letters testamentary. You get those from opening probate.

Either do this or don't. You are not going to find out anything on your own that is useful until or unless you get his paperwork or open probate.
So probate it is....do I have to go to reno probate court?...or can anything be done online?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">