• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Deed of Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Almandy

South Carolina
My father (resident of NJ as well as myself) died 14 years ago. I just recently found out he was part owner of a house and land in Rock Hill, SC. I got legal advice and started taking measures to have his name removed from the deed and replace with my name (only child). I am at the point where the probate court of SC has mailed me a Deed of Distribution. Can I complete this myself and return it to the court (that is without obtaing a lawyer just to complete this form)? If so, where can I get instructions on the appropriate way to complete it? Currently may father's name and two of his siblings names are on the Deed.

justalayman

well, you left a lot of info out that could cause a lot of different scenarios so we can only accept that the title was not held as joint tenant with rights of survivorship, there was no will, and many other issues that would affect what you are doing.

firsrt thing I need to mention; You do not remove a person's name from a deed. Once a deed is recorded, short of having a court amend it, it stays the way it is forever. You can file subsequent deeds that transfer the grantors stated interest to the grantee but that is it. That is what you are attempting to do with the deed of trust.

anyway, instructions found here:

http://www.lex-co.sc.gov/departments/DeptIQ/ProbateCourt/Documents/deedofdistribution.pdf

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">