• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

died without a will -- car has lien

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

platinum-metal

What is the name of your state? New York

My husband died without a will. He purchased a car in 2004. There is still an outstanding balance on the car loan. As the spouse, I am not party to this debt and so I contacted the finance company and faxed them a notarized letter telling them to come and pick up the car. They have noted this in his account but I still haven't received a call from them telling me when they will pick up the car (it has been 6 days). Is this a game on their part? They are the true owners of the car as lienholder. I have no fudiciary responsibility for the car since I was never named as executor to a will. I want to cancel the insurance at this point and whatever happens to the car is the finance company's responsibility -- correct?

Moreover, the estate is insolvent so the finance company will not be able to collect the difference of what was owed against what they get at auction.

Thank you.

Last edited:

moburkes

Fiduciary responsibility is completely differerent than being the executor of an estate.

Ma'am, a repossession of a vehicle, even a voluntary one, takes MONTHS, not days.

In many states, you are not required to be a party to the contract in order to be responsible for it. You only have to be married to the debtor. So, I would wait before I cancel that insurance policy should the vehicle come up stolen.

Sorry about your husband.

Wait for other replies, but you are moving way to fast right now.

platinum-metal

died without will - car has lien

thank you Moburkes.

Since New York is not a community property state, I won't be responsible for any debts solely in his name. The estate would be but it is insolvent.

Thanks for responding and giving me a clearer understanding of the repo process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">