• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Dishonest Brother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rickman

New York
Prior to the deaths of my parents they named my younger brother as executor of their estate in their will. My brother has recieved Letters Of administration from the court and yet refuses to comply with any of the terms of the will. J have attempted to contact him regarding this and he refuses to comply or even to talk to me.
I donot have the money to employ an attorney especially since I cannot even get an estimate of the value of the estate except that my brother claims via his lawyer it is less than 20,000 dollars but as there were two properties involved each valued at over 50.000 dollars I know this is not right.
What steps can I take to force this issue into court without an attorney. I am willing to go to court pro se but don't know how to get started. This battle has been going on since Jan of 2005. PLEASE HELP!What is the name of your state?

BelizeBreeze

rickman said:
New York
Prior to the deaths of my parents they named my younger brother as executor of their estate in their will. My brother has recieved Letters Of administration from the court and yet refuses to comply with any of the terms of the will. J have attempted to contact him regarding this and he refuses to comply or even to talk to me.
I donot have the money to employ an attorney especially since I cannot even get an estimate of the value of the estate except that my brother claims via his lawyer it is less than 20,000 dollars but as there were two properties involved each valued at over 50.000 dollars I know this is not right.
What steps can I take to force this issue into court without an attorney. I am willing to go to court pro se but don't know how to get started. This battle has been going on since Jan of 2005. PLEASE HELP!What is the name of your state?
Well, if you can't hire an attorney then you're pretty much screwed. Unless you have a copy of the will and can post it here. We can't comment on a document we have not read.

Dandy Don

You are being a bit hasty. If he just received the letters, that means that probate has only just begun. You need to check at the county courthouse probate court to see for sure if probate has been opened and there is probably documentation already indicating that it has been opened. There should be information in the file showing when the next court date is going to be. Since real estate is involved here, probate is an absolute necessity, and all you need to do is wait for this to get to court. At this point you don't need an attorney.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

pojo2

Since real estate is involved here, probate is an absolute necessity

Depends, perhaps the properties were deeded in such a manner that would not be necessary. For instance the executor already had things going his way even before the death of the parents.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">