• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution of Estate Assets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

starling5

What is the name of your state? NY/NC/PR/CA

My father died intestate in Puerto Rico in 1977. I was appointed administratrix, his meager assets were probated in NY where I lived and where the little bit of assets were located. I distributed all to me and my 3 siblings in equal shares. Fast forward to 2001. Now I live in North Carolina and I found unclaimed funds in my fathers name in the State of California. Funds were Life Insurance proceeds from a deceased Uncle. My father was a joint beneficiary with his brother. My father's brother died before my father, therefore my father was then entitled to the entire proceeds. Amount about $7000. I was able to secure the funds, by getting a new copy of my Letters of Administration, etc. I have the funds deposited into a bank account in the "estate of..my father". Now, here is my question. My fathers brother who pre-deceased him, has a daughter. I would like to give her an equal share of this money as in my mind, she is morally entitled to a share since both our fathers were named as beneficiaries on the policy. If I give her a share, can my siblings sue me for doing so? I don't trust them all and I don't want to create trouble for myself. I would rather not discuss it with them, as it may open a bigger can of worms. What do you think?

BlondiePB

What do you think?
You need to do what is required of you LEGALLY by law and leave the emotion out of it. Yes, your siblings can sue you over doing what you think is morally right because it's not legally right. You can give this girl your share or part of your share of the money if you so desire.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">