• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution receipt with discharge

• Thread starter TrustingBrother
  • Start date

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TrustingBrother

What is the name of your state? Probate in Oregon

The distribution receipt offered by the firm serving our mother's personal representative includes the following statement.

"and I do hereby release and forever discharge the Estate of {mother}, its personal representative, attorneys, the decedent, and their heirs, administrators, agents and assigns and all other persons, firms or corporations who are connected therewith, from any and all claims, demands, damages, actions, causes of actions or suits of any kind or nature whatsoever."

I understand the need to confirm receipt of funds from the estate. I do not believe it is necessary to agree to the statement above. Is such a declaration required to complete probate? If not, I'll strike the phrase, sign and return the receipt.

Dandy Don

If you did not receive a check along with this statement, then it will do you no harm to go ahead and sign it. If you do find out later that some type of theft from the estate has occurred, you can still bring legal charges and this signed statement will not absolve them of liability. If you cross out/strike out portions of the document, they will not send you your check. They are only trying to cover their behinds, but they are too stupid to know that this is a worthless statement that has no real legal value.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

T

TrustingBrother

Is a discharge statement required in a distribution receipt?

The receipt followed distribution of the estate funds. Is a discharge statement required in a distribution receipt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">