• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Distribution of Trust Taking Too Long

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

helpme57

undefinedWhat is the name of your state? California

My brother died one year ago. His wife was named executor of the estate which consists of a trust with his home and several IRAs, etc.

The benenficiaries of the trust in addition to his wife are myself, my niece, and my nephew.

We have been waiting almost a year for the trust to be distributed and we
still have not gotten any of the monies my brother wanted us to have.

Oh, his wife has gotten some money from the trust already!!!!

My question: Is there a time limit in California that monies from a trust have
to be distributed to the rightful heirs or can my brother's wife take as long as
she wants to to settle the trust??

Dandy Don

Each trust beneficiary has the right to send the trustee a certified letter to the trustee requesting a copy of the trust and accounting information regarding the trust. So that the trustee will be less likely to ignore a letter sent only by a beneficiary, it is much better if the beneficiaries hire a trust attorney to write the letter on their behalf so that the trustee will regard it more seriously and therefore be more likely to respond by sending the requested information.

You should also ask your attorney if it would be wise to ask the trustee to purchase a trustee's bond in order to financially insure against the unlikely but possible prospect that this trustee may be trying to steal more than her share of money from the trust. It's very odd that she hasn't distributed to the beneficiaries after so much time, and there is no excuse for that.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">