• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divided family.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PennLife

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Well grandmother dies and states in the will that everything is to be split evenly amongst her children, that is all. Most of the children live directly beside the land to be split, so a select few want to carve the land up. The problem is that these few have very nice fields beside their property and the rest of those beside the property have only swampy land that is not worth much at all. The executer (also an heir and also one who wants land) has made it clear that it’d end up in court should we want otherwise. My question is simple, if a few want the entire thing to be sold and the money split (or our parts bought for the appraised price) does that not mean that’s what must happen?

We have made it clear that we will not accept land, we want the value of the property. What options do we have to go about getting our fair cut? I say this because it is painfully obvious that the executer is looking out after their own interests (IE stalling the entire process while her child lives in the house rent free, dodging questions about the estate… responding with “Ohh, I don’t know. I’ll have to get back to you.”, etc)

I was under the impression that if even one party is not happy with the way they plan to split property, the entire thing is liquidated and the funds split. Another thing we worry about is them claiming the land they want as their share, and then trying to sell the left over, practically valueless land for the rest of us to split.

So can they force us to take land? If not, do we have to work this out with them, or can we just go over their head and force the courts to sell/split the assets?

Thanks for any help given, we are getting desperate.

lwpat

My suggestion would be for those of you who want the land sold to decide on a fair price and then determine your share. Notify the executor that you either want your share bought out or the property placed on the market.

I cases like this your best option is an either/or. By that I mean offer to buy them out at the same price you are willing to take.

Put your demand in writing CRRR and see what happens.

PennLife

Thank you for your reply.

I just want to make sure that putting our demands in writing has a legal value. If it is just to let the executor knowhow we feel it won't do any good. She certainly doesn't think we have any say in what happens.

As of now the executor is skirting on the edge of illegal behavior (meaning she definitely broke the law in a few cases, but proving it is an issue). Is there any way to request she be removed as that title and ask the state to take care of it for us?

Thanks again for any help and sorry to drag this thread on.

lwpat

I'm not here to argue with you. Either take my advice or ignore it, I get paid the same either way.

PennLife

I'm sorry you felt I was trying to argue. That was certainly not the case. I was just trying to hint that this family doesn't do things logically. They feel what the executor says is the way things go. I just wanted to clarify that in case you were assuming they'd actually take our opinion seriously.

We want this to be done with as soon as possible, and she is intent on stalling for as long as possible. This is why we would like a way to force her into action.

Thanks for all replies and any future replies.

BlondiePB

PennLife said:
I'm sorry you felt I was trying to argue. That was certainly not the case. I was just trying to hint that this family doesn't do things logically. They feel what the executor says is the way things go. I just wanted to clarify that in case you were assuming they'd actually take our opinion seriously.

We want this to be done with as soon as possible, and she is intent on stalling for as long as possible. This is why we would like a way to force her into action.

Thanks for all replies and any future replies.
Hire your own attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">