• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have any rights?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

irishred30

What is the name of your state? I live in Colorado but the estate in question is South Carolina.
My father who I was close with, unexpectedly died in March of this year with no will. At the time of his death I took nothing, asked for nothing as other than the home there really wasn't much. He was survived by his wife, a brother a sister and myself. I knew from conversations with him that if something was to happen to him he wanted his wife to be taken care of, he had reason to believe she would die before him, so he didn't do much other planning. He had told me to sell his belongings and make sure his wife had money to live. The home and car were in his name solely (again, as he thought she would pass first) and the DMV required that I sign off and sell my portion of the car to his wife so she could have it retitled, I did so as I knew she would need the vehicle or at the very least would need to sell it to get something she could get around in. The estate never went into probate, his wife had said she would take care of things, and I returned home. Since I don't know anything about estates, probate or the like, it never really occurred to me that we needed to do much of anything. Well in October, his wife told me she was going to sell the home, that in fact she already had a buyer and that whatever funds there were she would make sure they were divided correctly. I told her to let me know if there was anything I could do to help let me know and if I needed to sign anything (like in the case of the car) to have the Realtor get in touch with me. She said she would, then went into her plans and told me that when she passed whatever was left should go to me as it was my fathers house. Well she died a couple days later, with no will. She had already signed the necessary papers to sell the home but closing is now approaching. So heres the where things get interesting...
Her siblings (who she wasn't close with and hadn't seen in about 30 years) is now saying that the proceeds of the home sale all go to them. The tax assessment office as well as the mortgage list the home only in my fathers name, but the Realtor agrees with her family and will not return my calls. I know my fathers intent would not be to give these people who he had no relationship, anything, and because of the lack of a relationship, I know his wife wouldn't have cared to leave them anything.
So my question is, do I have any rights to the estate since we did not in fact go through probate? I am told that the entire estate passed to his surviving wife and that it is simple as that. Any light that can be shed on this situation would be appreciated.

BelizeBreeze

Her siblings (who she wasn't close with and hadn't seen in about 30 years) is now saying that the proceeds of the home sale all go to them. The tax assessment office as well as the mortgage list the home only in my fathers name, but the Realtor agrees with her family and will not return my calls. I know my fathers intent would not be to give these people who he had no relationship, anything, and because of the lack of a relationship, I know his wife wouldn't have cared to leave them anything.
So my question is, do I have any rights to the estate since we did not in fact go through probate? I am told that the entire estate passed to his surviving wife and that it is simple as that. Any light that can be shed on this situation would be appreciated.
You are surrounded by idiots.
First, you need to probate the father's will. Without that, there is no estate for them to argue over.

I would advise you to call a local attorney to put the real estate agent on notice that the sale IS NOT going to happen.

BelizeBreeze

ONE other question I forgot to ask. Was this home your father's before he married or did they purchase it during the marriage? And how long were they married?

irishred30

They were married in the neighborhood of 20 years and bought the home during the marriage. She wasn't put on the paperwork because she had declared bankruptcy I believe. His is the sole name on the mortgage agreement but as for the title I suppose I don't know that for sure, how could I find that out?

New information that we managed to gather today is that the estate is in fact in probate, which was started in July and will be complete in March of 07. His wife apparently did this so she could sell the home. She informed no one, even though we talked to her frequently and did not inform the law firm of any heirs. She even listed the property and items at a much lower amount than they were worth. So now I need to get in touch with the firm and let them know she has passed and I am guessing to sort out what the heck is going on. Should I retain my own council or would the probate attorney be enough?
Apparently she had not received the proper authorization to sell the home, the Realtor said he would not have taken the property on without the proper documentation but how on earth could have have any proper authorization when the probate attorney didn't know it was being sold? All his belongings have been given away, large screen tv, nascar collectibles, tools, and while of no monetary value, his photos military medals and such (this hurts the most), all that is left is the home and the vehicle that is now titled in her name. This seems to be becoming a larger and larger mess with each bit of information that I manage to scrape up.
I cannot argue the point of being surrounded by idiots, and at this point I count myself in the lot as I know nothing about the legalities of this mess but I am trying to educate myself and I think I just need to know if I need independent council. The downside to that is that it's likely there isn't much left in the way of monetary value so I am afraid that this is going to end up costing me money in the end.

I thank you guys for chiming in and helping me.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Contact a probate attorney immediately and have THEM contact the current firm. It looks like you'll need to either complete the current probate but no one can be sure.

As for the deed to the home, have your attorney contact the probate court or you can call the Recorder's office in the county where they lived and pay a fee for them to copy the deed and mail that copy to you.

tranquility

I agree with BB, contact an attorney. I think much of the property has two probates to go through. Each is an intestate succession. I don't even think you can negotiate out of this one. You and yours will get some part of the estate in the first probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">