• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to go thru probate?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mjb15

The state is Arizona. My father execute a self proving will in 1978 when he lived in Illinois which I have the original copy of in my posession. He moved to AZ 12 years ago. He died on 4/3/05. His will directs the executor to pay his debts, funeral expenses, taxes... and "all the rest, residue and remainder of my propery, real, personal and mixed, wherever situated and whether acquired before or after the execution of this will, I give devise and bequeath to my beloved wife (named) as her absolute property forever." My dad had two investments (1 Government bonds, and 1 IRA). The IRA lists my mom as the beneficiary the bond does not. Do we need to go thru probate just to get this moved into my mom's name?

S

seniorjudge

mjb15 said:
The state is Arizona. My father execute a self proving will in 1978 when he lived in Illinois which I have the original copy of in my posession. He moved to AZ 12 years ago. He died on 4/3/05. His will directs the executor to pay his debts, funeral expenses, taxes... and "all the rest, residue and remainder of my propery, real, personal and mixed, wherever situated and whether acquired before or after the execution of this will, I give devise and bequeath to my beloved wife (named) as her absolute property forever." My dad had two investments (1 Government bonds, and 1 IRA). The IRA lists my mom as the beneficiary the bond does not. Do we need to go thru probate just to get this moved into my mom's name?
It appears you will have to go through probate, but the state bar in AZ offers help:

http://www.supreme.state.az.us/nav2/selfserv.htm

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">