• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need to hire a lawyer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mossy

What is the name of your state?Georgia
My mother was married to a man for 2 yrs 1984-1986. Divorced him and then they went back together and lived together until she passed away last month. She left a very vague will. It only included what she considered her very prized possesions; and her car. The home that they own was in both names. She did state in the will that she wanted him to have the home. There are a lot of her personal belongings that me and my brother want. We are her only heirs. The live in is mad because she did not leave everything to him. He refuses to let me come and get her things. I have not probated the will yet because I am waiting on the death certificate. I just wandered if it would be easier to just take it to a lawyer and try to get everthing even her half of the home??? Can we do that?? He also forged her last 2 retirement checks and put them in his personal account. Can I do something about that.
I was poa from Jan 2005 till she passed.

Dandy Don

You can't get his half of the home.

Check at the county courthouse to see if there is a special procedure for smaller estates, and also check with your motor vehicles department to see what their rules are.

You can sue him in small claims court to get him to repay the money from the cashed checks, but first give him a chance to make repayment without going to court unless as a last resort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">