• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I need probate if there's no Will?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EMB7

What is the name of your state? California

My mother passed away a few years ago now and left my brother and I a house. The loan to the house is now fully paid for, but the name of the deed to the house is still under my mother's name. She never created a Will, but we are the only beneficiaries to the estate. We don't plan on selling the house anytime soon, but would like to change the name of the deed to both of our names. Do we still need to go through probate? Do we need a lawyer for this? How much will this total process cost us? Also, will the annual property tax increase to the current estate value after we change the name of the deed?

Please help.What is the name of your state?

EMB7 said:
What is the name of your state? California

My mother passed away a few years ago now and left my brother and I a house. The loan to the house is now fully paid for, but the name of the deed to the house is still under my mother's name. She never created a Will, but we are the only beneficiaries to the estate. We don't plan on selling the house anytime soon, but would like to change the name of the deed to both of our names. Do we still need to go through probate? Do we need a lawyer for this? How much will this total process cost us? Also, will the annual property tax increase to the current estate value after we change the name of the deed?

Please help.What is the name of your state?

My response:

Let me ask you this: Without Probate, just how did you plan to get that Deed into your, and your brother's, names?

It doesn't matter that she didn't have a Will.

Hire a Probate attorney. You need one. Your other questions will be answered by that attorney.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">