• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do my sister and I have any rights to our father's possessions?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Savannahgeorge

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State.
My father just passed away June 25. Two days later our step-mother phoned us to inform us that she and her 2 boys w/their wives and her daughter and a friend were coming to the house to take away all her and our father's belongings. She and our Dad had only been married for 4.3 years, together for about 5. In just the last year, June 2008 the two of the them had moved in with my father's mother who is 91yrs. of age, this year (our grandfather died July4, 2007), to help her with her estate, taxes, learning how to manage her checking account and monthly bills and to clean up all the clutter that has acquired on the farm the last 80+ years!
My sister and I and felt violated and certainly in the way of our step-mom and her "helpers" while they packed up and took all of "hers" in the house and outbuildings. She was not nice as she originally asked over the phone to take our grandma and uncle away for the day while she moved out. My sister told her no, that this is grandma's property and she would certainly feel betrayed and violated. She told us that if there was anything we would like to she didn't see any reason why we couldn't have it unless it was something he gave to her. Well her mind quickly changed and wasn't allowing us to have anything. She has moved all possessions into storage. Also...most of their possessions were already in storage due to moving into grandma's house. There are some items that have been in our family for over 100 years, Alaskan artifacts (my sister and I were born in AK), some sentimental items and he has lots of hunting gear, 4-wheelers, tractors, trailers...he and our step-mom also have property that which we are NOT interested in. Regardless, she is not being very responsive in wanting to disperse that which my sister and I feel we deserve, especially those that our Dad had wanted especially for us. He had no current Will, he had one done up in 1996 before they were married naming me the PR but???? is that still valid? And what rights do my sister and I have to any of the belongings? I know we wouldn't even be wanting to ask for any of this if she hadn't ransacked the house the way she did and in the angry tone as well. Now we feel there is no trust. His will did say that he wished for none of this sort of thing to go through the courts, and it wouldn't if she weren't being this abrupt and harsh and acting like a hoardasaurus!

JETX

The issues you have are far too complex, and urgent, for an online legal ADVICE site. You need to RUN, not walk, to a local probate attorney who can advise you properly to protect your inheritance.

Hot Topic

Even family can't just help themselves to the possessions of the deceased. The laws of the state regarding probate must be followed, as well as the will of the deceased.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">