• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

does social security give checks a month in advance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jurgensenj4

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

My friend's dad passed away, with no will. My friend is the only living heir, and his dad had a social security check in the bank. He needs to find out if he will be eligible to access those funds. Someone said that if social security pays a month in advance the government will take those funds back. But if they pay just regularly can he get that money?

rmet4nzkx

It is paid in advance or you have to be alive for the entire month to collect. My mother died on 12-31 and we had to return the entire month's money.

BlondiePB

Actually, SS is not paid in advance. The SS beneficiary receives his/her SS money on the 3rd of each month for that month (earlier if the 3rd is on a weekend). SS must be returned for the current month when a person that dies on the 1st or 2nd of the month. When a person dies mid-month or later, SS may not have enough time to stop the check arriving for the next month and that money (arriving on the 3rd of the next month) has to be returned to SS.

Rmet, if you returned both Dec. and Jan. of your mother's SS you returned too much.

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
Actually, SS is not paid in advance. The SS beneficiary receives his/her SS money on the 3rd of each month for that month (earlier if the 3rd is on a weekend). SS must be returned for the current month when a person that dies on the 1st or 2nd of the month. When a person dies mid-month or later, SS may not have enough time to stop the check arriving for the next month and that money (arriving on the 3rd of the next month) has to be returned to SS.

Rmet, if you returned both Dec. and Jan. of your mother's SS you returned too much.
Blondie,
The checks used to come on the 3rd, they no longer do because too many were getting stolen from mail boxes and many money lalden elderly were easy targets, they now come on and different schedule. NO, we had to return the entire month of December because she did not live the entire month, just hours short of it, social security was very specific about that, she did get to keep her ssi. Checks may come on the 3rd in your area but it varies.

BlondiePB

rmet4nzkx said:
Blondie,
The checks used to come on the 3rd, they no longer do because too many were getting stolen from mail boxes and many money lalden elderly were easy targets, they now come on and different schedule. NO, we had to return the entire month of December because she did not live the entire month, just hours short of it, social security was very specific about that, she did get to keep her ssi. Checks may come on the 3rd in your area but it varies.
Understand perfectly about elderly being easy targets, but a Federal Program such as SS varying state to state?? Sounds like another example of the efficiency of the federal government. :rolleyes:

jurgensenj4, your friend needs to call Social Security and find out whether or not the money for the month received that your friend's father passed has to be returned.

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
Understand perfectly about elderly being easy targets, but a Federal Program such as SS varying state to state?? Sounds like another example of the efficiency of the federal government. :rolleyes:

jurgensenj4, your friend needs to call Social Security and find out whether or not the money for the month received that your friend's father passed has to be returned.
Actually although it is supposedly because of safety I think it is to spread the printing of checks out, when checks were delivered on the 3rd that created too much competition with other government checks and checks were printed and held at the post office until delivery day, now they don't sit so long in the post office.

BlondiePB

rmet4nzkx said:
Actually although it is supposedly because of safety I think it is to spread the printing of checks out, when checks were delivered on the 3rd that created too much competition with other government checks and checks were printed and held at the post office until delivery day, now they don't sit so long in the post office.
Logical explanation, rmet. One of the old "snowbirdies" told me that it was to prevent postal carrier rage. :eek:
Ya gotta just love them ol' folks.

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
Logical explanation, rmet. One of the old "snowbirdies" told me that it was to prevent postal carrier rage. :eek:
Ya gotta just love them ol' folks.
I know this to be fact because I took cub scouts on a tour of the post office and the postmaster explained how they held the checks for delivery on the 3rd, things have changed since then, my cub scout has children of his own :)

BlondiePB

rmet4nzkx said:
I know this to be fact because I took cub scouts on a tour of the post office and the postmaster explained how they held the checks for delivery on the 3rd, things have changed since then, my cub scout has children of his own :)
I'm not disputing your "scouting". The humor of the ol' folks is cute. ;)

rmet4nzkx

BlondiePB said:
I'm not disputing your "scouting". The humor of the ol' folks is cute. ;)
I lived in an neighborhood where people lived in their homes an average of 25-45 years and in walking distance of a business district, so it was full of elderly people eagerly awaiting the mail carrier who made two rounds of business deliveries before delivering the mail, so many elderly were having to go out after dark to collect their mail. Very frustrating.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">