+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    jurgensenj4 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    3

    does social security give checks a month in advance

    What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Nebraska

    My friend's dad passed away, with no will. My friend is the only living heir, and his dad had a social security check in the bank. He needs to find out if he will be eligible to access those funds. Someone said that if social security pays a month in advance the government will take those funds back. But if they pay just regularly can he get that money?
  2. #2
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    It is paid in advance or you have to be alive for the entire month to collect. My mother died on 12-31 and we had to return the entire month's money.
  3. #3
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Actually, SS is not paid in advance. The SS beneficiary receives his/her SS money on the 3rd of each month for that month (earlier if the 3rd is on a weekend). SS must be returned for the current month when a person that dies on the 1st or 2nd of the month. When a person dies mid-month or later, SS may not have enough time to stop the check arriving for the next month and that money (arriving on the 3rd of the next month) has to be returned to SS.

    Rmet, if you returned both Dec. and Jan. of your mother's SS you returned too much.
  4. #4
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    Actually, SS is not paid in advance. The SS beneficiary receives his/her SS money on the 3rd of each month for that month (earlier if the 3rd is on a weekend). SS must be returned for the current month when a person that dies on the 1st or 2nd of the month. When a person dies mid-month or later, SS may not have enough time to stop the check arriving for the next month and that money (arriving on the 3rd of the next month) has to be returned to SS.

    Rmet, if you returned both Dec. and Jan. of your mother's SS you returned too much.
    Blondie,
    The checks used to come on the 3rd, they no longer do because too many were getting stolen from mail boxes and many money lalden elderly were easy targets, they now come on and different schedule. NO, we had to return the entire month of December because she did not live the entire month, just hours short of it, social security was very specific about that, she did get to keep her ssi. Checks may come on the 3rd in your area but it varies.
  5. #5
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
    Blondie,
    The checks used to come on the 3rd, they no longer do because too many were getting stolen from mail boxes and many money lalden elderly were easy targets, they now come on and different schedule. NO, we had to return the entire month of December because she did not live the entire month, just hours short of it, social security was very specific about that, she did get to keep her ssi. Checks may come on the 3rd in your area but it varies.
    Understand perfectly about elderly being easy targets, but a Federal Program such as SS varying state to state?? Sounds like another example of the efficiency of the federal government.

    jurgensenj4, your friend needs to call Social Security and find out whether or not the money for the month received that your friend's father passed has to be returned.
  6. #6
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    Understand perfectly about elderly being easy targets, but a Federal Program such as SS varying state to state?? Sounds like another example of the efficiency of the federal government.

    jurgensenj4, your friend needs to call Social Security and find out whether or not the money for the month received that your friend's father passed has to be returned.
    Actually although it is supposedly because of safety I think it is to spread the printing of checks out, when checks were delivered on the 3rd that created too much competition with other government checks and checks were printed and held at the post office until delivery day, now they don't sit so long in the post office.
  7. #7
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
    Actually although it is supposedly because of safety I think it is to spread the printing of checks out, when checks were delivered on the 3rd that created too much competition with other government checks and checks were printed and held at the post office until delivery day, now they don't sit so long in the post office.
    Logical explanation, rmet. One of the old "snowbirdies" told me that it was to prevent postal carrier rage.
    Ya gotta just love them ol' folks.
  8. #8
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    Logical explanation, rmet. One of the old "snowbirdies" told me that it was to prevent postal carrier rage.
    Ya gotta just love them ol' folks.
    I know this to be fact because I took cub scouts on a tour of the post office and the postmaster explained how they held the checks for delivery on the 3rd, things have changed since then, my cub scout has children of his own
  9. #9
    BlondiePB is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Bikini Atoll
    Posts
    5,630
    Quote Originally Posted by rmet4nzkx
    I know this to be fact because I took cub scouts on a tour of the post office and the postmaster explained how they held the checks for delivery on the 3rd, things have changed since then, my cub scout has children of his own
    I'm not disputing your "scouting". The humor of the ol' folks is cute.
  10. #10
    rmet4nzkx is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    17,787
    Quote Originally Posted by BlondiePB
    I'm not disputing your "scouting". The humor of the ol' folks is cute.
    I lived in an neighborhood where people lived in their homes an average of 25-45 years and in walking distance of a business district, so it was full of elderly people eagerly awaiting the mail carrier who made two rounds of business deliveries before delivering the mail, so many elderly were having to go out after dark to collect their mail. Very frustrating.

Similar Threads

  1. Social Security checks - are there laws protecting us?
    By jkatzin in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-18-2010, 11:25 PM
  2. Monthly Social Security Disability Checks
    By llg871 in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-10-2009, 12:07 PM
  3. Bounced checks for security and 1st month's rent.
    By drzack in forum Landlord / Tenant Issues
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-16-2009, 01:11 PM
  4. social security checks
    By rebel251 in forum Social Security Disability / SSI Law
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-17-2008, 03:49 PM
  5. Attaching Social Security Checks
    By betsline in forum Banking & Credit Cards
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-11-2001, 11:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.