• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Don't know what to do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pb1963

Trust fund where Will leaves household furnishings and personal effects to 2nd wife. She also receives income from trust. If, in sole discretion of the trustee, (her son in law) wants to give her anything from the trust for her care, he may do so.

Beneficiaries of trust:

The living issue of 2nd wifes daughter, 4 children

and the living issue of his neice, 2 children

While the trust has increased, the fact is that the trustee is the father of the 4 children, and son in law of the 2nd wife. They all live in another state and all I get every year is a statement.

My question is this. How can I find out what the original amount of the estate was when he died, ie property holdings, and other assets that may not have been included in the trust. There has always been a stock portfolio but this was in existence when he died. So how do I find out about the properties owned and what was done with that money?

I am one of the 2 children of the neice who is now dead and I have no relatives to inquire to.

Any suggestions?

S

seniorjudge

Q: My question is this. How can I find out what the original amount of the estate was when he died, ie property holdings, and other assets that may not have been included in the trust. There has always been a stock portfolio but this was in existence when he died. So how do I find out about the properties owned and what was done with that money?

A: If there was a probate estate in the county of the state where the decedent lived, then go to the probate court and see if there was an inventory. Otherwise, ask the trustee for an accounting; if you are a beneficiary, you have the right to know.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">