• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Elderly father in nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

farmer22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hi,

My dad went to the nursing home about 1 month ago. Now he is finding out that he will not return home again. My dad is 92 years old and still owns his own home.

He has some money in his savings account, checking account and some CD's. He would like to give us (the kids) some money he has in the three accounts. He has about $20,000 in the three accounts.

Can he legally give this money to the kids or the grandkids? I do have power of attorney for my father.

If so, what would I need to do?

Thanks,
Don

anteater

Medicaid has a five year lookback period. Unless he has other assets to pay the nursing home bills himself for 5 years, gifts will almost certainly result in a period of Medicaid disqualification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">