• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Advice-twisted situation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redrocr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
Gonna try this post again- think it got deleted..
I have not seen or talked to my Father in 20+ years, and recieved notification of his death a month ago yesterday. I assumed he had a will, and that everything would go to my drug addicted adult sister ( whom has been living with and milking him for years). Well a voice mail from my sister stated Dad DID NOT have a will ( she needed me to sign off on a vehicle for the DMV) or some BS.. Anyway, how or whom do I contact in Florida to let them know that I am one of three living children, and how do I notify any bank institutions of his, that she may be accessing his ATM or charge cards fradulently? I have not been contacted by anyone in probate as of today..
Thank you!

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?Florida
Gonna try this post again- think it got deleted..
I have not seen or talked to my Father in 20+ years, and recieved notification of his death a month ago yesterday. I assumed he had a will, and that everything would go to my drug addicted adult sister ( whom has been living with and milking him for years). Well a voice mail from my sister stated Dad DID NOT have a will ( she needed me to sign off on a vehicle for the DMV) or some BS.. Anyway, how or whom do I contact in Florida to let them know that I am one of three living children, and how do I notify any bank institutions of his, that she may be accessing his ATM or charge cards fradulently? I have not been contacted by anyone in probate as of today..
Thank you!
Contact the probate court in the county where your father died. Just out of curiosity, if you have not seen or talked to your father in 20+years why do you jump to assuming the worst about what was going on? You really cared about him when he was alive and now that he is dead it seems you want to cash in.

Redrocr

Contact the probate court in the county where your father died. Just out of curiosity, if you have not seen or talked to your father in 20+years why do you jump to assuming the worst about what was going on? You really cared about him when he was alive and now that he is dead it seems you want to cash in.
Not much love loss there with an abusive father my entire childhood...
Anyway, what are the legal ramifications for my sister if she has cleaned out bank accounts (her name not on accounts) after time of death?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Not much love loss there with an abusive father my entire childhood...
Anyway, what are the legal ramifications for my sister if she has cleaned out bank accounts (her name not on accounts) after time of death?
How do you know she is not on the accounts? And again, you seem quite predatory regarding your father's assets. You haven't been in touch for 20 years but you KNOW sis did not have any authority over bank accounts, credit card accounts or anything else? Really?

curb1

Ohiogal,

Perhaps you could just answer the question instead of the lecture which is a total assumption on your part.

OHRoadwarrior

Ohiogal,

Perhaps you could just answer the question instead of the lecture which is a total assumption on your part.
Perhaps she should, however, lets face it, at least the druggie didn't abandon him. Hire a lawyer to investigate the estate and open probate if it has not happened. Have him represent your interests if it has.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Perhaps she should, however, lets face it, at least the druggie didn't abandon him. Hire a lawyer to investigate the estate and open probate if it has not happened. Have him represent your interests if it has.
Curb isn't a party or the OP (unless of course OP has decided to post under more than one user name and deceive us). Curb is just someone hassling me because of a disagreement with what i had to tell OP. I stand by what I stated.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Ohiogal,

Did you note the QUESTIONS. Questions aren't assumptions. They are questions. How is OP sure that his sister is NOT on any accounts? How is OP certain that sister had NO authority to do anything she did? He hasn't answered but you jumped in. Why, pray tell is that?

anteater

Did you note the QUESTIONS. Questions aren't assumptions. They are questions. How is OP sure that his sister is NOT on any accounts? How is OP certain that sister had NO authority to do anything she did? He hasn't answered but you jumped in. Why, pray tell is that?
How does OP know that there are any accounts?

OHRoadwarrior

Curb isn't a party or the OP (unless of course OP has decided to post under more than one user name and deceive us). Curb is just someone hassling me because of a disagreement with what i had to tell OP. I stand by what I stated.
Thx for the correct OG. Missed the different username when perusing.

sandyclaus

I'm with the consensus here.

You haven't had any contact for 20+ years. You CHOSE this due to alleged abuse with which you were subjected.

You've had no contact, had no involvement in his life, no firsthand knowledge of any job he had, money he earned or saved. You didn't care about any of that until after you learned that he had passed away, and that your sister might actually get something for the time she invested in her relationship with him all these years.

You didn't care enough about him to make sure he was even still alive. Why is it that now you've developed this newfound interest in his personal and financial business?

I think OG hit it right in the head. Now there is a perceived financial benefit to be had from his life, you suddenly feel the overwhelming need to stick your hand in and demand YOUR piece of the proverbial pie.

How very sad and pathetic you are.

tranquility

I have a client in her 80's who hated her children. Since I will be her executor, she keeps me informed. Since she went to a nursing home in what might be called hospice, her children love her and she them. Even though they have sued each other many times.

We cannot guess what the deceased wanted without a will or trust. The continuation of DNA (or, "family" if you prefer) is an interesting thing. To me, the law seems to have considered the issue. Even for one long ago disinterested.

curb1

The OP asked, "what are the legal ramifications for my sister if she has cleaned out bank accounts (her name not on accounts) after time of death?"

Does anyone have an answer?

anteater

The OP asked, "what are the legal ramifications for my sister if she has cleaned out bank accounts (her name not on accounts) after time of death?"

Does anyone have an answer?
Hypothetically, of course... If she had done such a thing and someone opens probate and is appointed as the probate estate's personal representative and the personal representative finds the evidence, then she may have to return the funds to the probate estate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">