• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mickiehome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WASHINGTON

My mother had been in the nursing home several times before finally passing away recently. On one or two occassions when she was in the nursing home my sister and I went to her house to secure some items, such as family momentos, to keep them safe. These belongings have been in my possession for well over two years. Now that my mother has passed, my sister is demanding that I give them to her because she is Personal Representative. It has become apparent that my sister is not handling her job of being PR honestly. She tried to threaten me into signing away all of my rights of being a beneficiary to the Will; which states that my sister and I are to split everything 50/50. Because I refused to sign it, now she threatening legal action if I do give her these items. She also recently went to the estate and took home everything that she felt was of value. And based on what she has told me, she is intending to drain all money in the estate to pay her and her attorney, so there will nothing left to be distributed from the Will. So I will never see anything else from my mother's estate; and if I give her these items then I won't even have that.
My question(s): Is there any way I can be held legally responsible if I do not give her these items? What could happen if refuse to give them to her?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">