• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate (no Will) question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dalima

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? Oregon

My dad died in 1994 in California. Mom moved to Washington state in early 1995 and died in 2000 in Washington state. Mom was disabled at time of move.
Before dad died, he started a will, but it never was formally legalized before he died. Mom didn't follow through with legalizing a will after dad's death. When dad died, mom cashed out life insurance policies, mutual funds, etc. Mom bought her and my sister two new mobile homes and placed the homes on 6 acres of property in Washington state with the agreement that sister would help with mom's healthcare needs (M.S./diabetes (wheelchair bound).) Mom died in 2000. Sister sold homes and property in late 2004. My question: do I have any rights to part of the gains from the sell of the property? Sister is of opinion that I am not. I don't think this is fair. I've even suggested to sister that we split the proceeds 60/40 (her 60 me 40). She does not agree because she says she is the one who provided mom's healthcare and that she deserves every cent of the gain. What are my legal rights, if any?

Thank you in advance for advice.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">