• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

estate question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

robot1

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA
Husband passed away, I am beneficiary of everything. Can you pls tell me what exactly would be included in his "estate" for tax purposes. What is next legal step to close estate if will does not need to go to probate? Thanks

anteater

robot1 said:
Husband passed away, I am beneficiary of everything. Can you pls tell me what exactly would be included in his "estate" for tax purposes.
Property owned jointly by spouses is exempt from PA inheritance tax. And property inherited from a spouse is taxed 0%. And the federal estate tax has an unlimited marital deduction. Therefore, if you, as the spouse, are inheriting everything, it does not make any difference.

What is next legal step to close estate if will does not need to go to probate? Thanks
That is kind of a confusing question. Probate is the legal process that transfers ownership of a deceased's property that is not transferred by joint ownership, beneficiary designations, etc. If all the property was jointly owned or had you as designated beneficiary, all that you should need to do is transfer the property into your name, usually by providing a death certificate and authentication that you are who you say your are.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">