• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Estate Recovery... After probate and disbersment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cboelyn79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Missouri

after my dad died his estate went through probabte. I followed all steps set by the court and had a lawyer, sold the house, paid off his debts, filed all paperwork with court. The judge signed off on it all and disbersedyhe remaining money to me. I signed that I received my money, and that paper was filed with the court. NOW after all this is said and done ( and I have already spent some of the money, since it was legally disbersed to me by the court and my lawyer said everything was settled) Medicaid is now attempting to file a claim against the estate. My Dad died suddenly at 66 and was never in a nursing home. I had no idea he even had Medicaid, only Medicare. Should I be worried? Medicaid sent their form to be filled out to my lawyer. So she knows about it, all she did was email me a copy along with a letter saying she "strongly urges me not to spend the money I received" (which I got a month ago) she didn't call me and tell me anything just sent an email.

commentator

In most cases, those letters are sent out to everyone, and if your father was never on Medicaid, you have absolutely nothing to worry about. Perhaps he was and you don't know, and the attorney does, but regardless, every older person gets this type of letter and it has to be completed and sent back in so if the state is entitled to anything they will get it.

cboelyn79

No she did not file it. The judge signed off on all claims being paid and disbersing the money to me. As far as I knew from the lawyer and the court the probabte was officially closed. Considering my father passed a year and a half ago I am surprised they are trying to make any kind of claim the time period to file a claim has more than passed from what my lawyer said.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">