• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex-Stepmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wib5037

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?KY
Since my last post the Court has appointed me Executor Of Dad's estate.
Went to the bank to close accounts and the account for the CD he had wasn't included.
It seems that his ex wife was still named as beneficiary on this account and the bank gave the money to her.
His savings are the same, she is still the benefactor. The divorce papers clearly state that they dissolve the account they had at another bank and divide as provided in the decree.
The checking, savings, and CD were his before they married. The bank manager says I need to have the savings account cleared by a court order.
Went to the court house and was referred to the probate judge who in turn said that I need legal counsul.
The savings is small.
Has anyone had this similar problem and how do you take care of it?
I see I have 3 options
1. get an attorney
2. contact my step mother and see if she will release this account to my dads estate.
3. or just leave it alone

My step mother doesn't know about this or i'm sure she would have already closed the account.
My brother and sister feel as I do and do not want her to have it, but see it may not be worth legal action.
It goes to show that in divorce or separation a person needs to take care of
all interest as quick as possible.

Thanks
wib5037

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">