• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor acted in that fiduciary capacity BUT never actually was, Minor involved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

LuckyLadyT

What is the name of your state? Nevada/New York
Nevada concerning jurisdiction over Custodian/NY concerning Probate or lack of

I will try to sum this up, but will still hopefully detail enough so not to be 8 pages long.

Any answers to the many Q's within will be extremely useful/helpful. I have researched for a couple of months and along the way new info comes to light and circumstances change. When ever they change there seems like more legalities to deal with, so please, help if you can. I'm seeing possibly the Breach of Fiduciary duty concerning Minor's account, Intentional Fraud, Misrepresentation handling the estate, maby a fraud too by acting as Executer or Personal Rep for the Estate knowing this wan't what actually was???? Ommisions, intentional. Please look for these &/or anything else you may see and let me know your thoughts and ways to proceed, even types of forms I should use to Petition with or make a claim .... Thanks ahead for patiently reading, reading all makes all come to light.... :)

Simple Facts:
~Father in law passes in March 2006 in New York
~his Daughter says she's handling everything, we know there's a Will and father's properties (money) is divided equally between his Daughter and my husband, his Son.
~Son & I live in Las Vegas with minor daughter of ours; Son trusts his sister to take care of the Estate in NY because it was told to us that she is Executor
~Not in Will is the fact that Father wanted minor grandaughter to have $10,000 which he made a point to talk to Daughter & Son together 4 Mos. b-4 passing, stating this. This issue was agreed upon and grandaughter did receive $10,000, but more came with that which will be explained later.
~Father moved into Daughters house (Mother passed years b-4) 4 & 1/2 mos. before he passed knowing he didn't have long. At this time Father made Daughter a Joint holder on checking account of appro $80,000 which was out of convenience and to avoid those funds from Probate, but was expressed and understood between the 3 of them (Father,Daughter & Son)that those funds were to be divided as per Will except for the portion for the grandaughter.
~About a month before he passed Sister in law & I had a conversation about the funds because Father went into Hospital and it was unknown at that time if he was going to be able to go back home or in a facility (nursing home) that had the equipment possiblby needed for his breathing. During this convo she revealed she was worried about the funds and if a nursing home could take them...she said there was a savings account also, but didn't know how much was in it and she wasn't on the account.

Now with all that said, after he passed in March 06' it went like this:

Fake names here but will be easier to follow
Bob will = Son
Kim will = Daughter
Lisa will = Grandaughter

~Kim is handling Estate, she sends Bob $5000 via bank transfer by counter deposit in a NY bank of the same as Bobs' bank into his checking account in Las Vegas. Kim says this is what remained in an account of Dads.
~Kim tells Bob she hired an Accountant at this point to figure out the best way to go about all this.
~ Bob received $2500 in late Aug and Kim tells Bob his total is $10,000 plus what life ins. he is co-beneficiary to. $5,000 in June was already received from Kim as per above and this $2500 . Bob is also told now that she needs Lisa's SS# to put her $10,000 into an account, he figures she knows what is supposed go where and how so he gives her the SS# of Lisa's which is a Minor and our daughter....I am not aware of any of this having to do with my own daughter at this point (an issue in its self, but not for here)
~Dec. Bob receives his last $2,500 of the $10,000 and his ins. check. Done deal,so we thought.....

Bob and I get into a car accident with a wall in Feb. 07' and we are in need of $3000 cash for surgery downpayment for reconstruction of my cheek and eye bones a week after accident, now March7th,07' Bob calls Kim in hopes of borrowing from Lisa's $10,000 for medical emergency, she sends him $5,000 Western Union. I get surgery and now have to do taxes and I call Kim, after finally finding out about my daughters' $10,000 confirmed to me because Bob tells me where the $$ actually came from for surgery, and ask about the 1099's and about daughters' monies in general. I was told it was none of my business by Kim, needless to say that did NOT go over well with me. She refused to tell me squat & also refused to send 1099's. I became suspicious, very that something was going on we didn't know about. Not even what type of account, bank name NOTHING except SHE would take care of my daughters' money.
I investigated now, laws, some probate, etc. I wrote a demand letter to her requesting all information and copies of transactions, receipts, how this $ was aquired, I just about covered everything that I had a right to according to the UTMA law of custodian having to provide these docs upon request of a parent or minor's legal Rep.
I receive about a half page response with no docs only saying an interest amount for my daughter and that the accountant said for both BoB's and Lisa's taxes that they can be claimed as either estate or gifts and that it's the interests that have to claimed as income on those $$$ because it didn't go over the $10,000. She did say "of Lisa's $10,000 this is the amount of interest" , but no other esential Q.'s or documents were provided like they were supposed to be. She also listed all of Bob's $$ with dates sent including the $5,000 in March 07' as being his! Good right? That's a catch 22, Bob never knew he had more coming to him...we were really upset because all this $$$ together would have been a nice down payment to a house which we were hoping for and Yes, after a phone call there was still another $5,000 for Bob which he had her send after he found out which is now mid April.o7' $20,000 total and Lisa's $$$ is still $10,000 in the bank.

We moved into a rented house towards the end of April, that took up May pretty much THEN for the 1st time in 26 years my husband (Bob)is jobless,looses his job he's been with since moving to Las Vegas 6 years ago and is out of work at no fault to him, are assets are drained within a few weeks and we go from over 75,000 a year to everything happening at once and no $$ left but for some flooring we can sell & other things like that, we are in hardship. (this is embarrasing to tell you all,but needs to be said so you get the correct facts of everything so I can get an accurate opinion/advice from yas hopefully...srry this is so long, really trying to make this as short as possible)

So now it's beginning of July and we try to get a hold of Kim to now ask for $3500 from Lisa's account, not only for us, but for Lisa, Softball fees, new school clothes, school supplies and dental with some towards rent and electric for us, we just want to make sure Lisa's norm doesn't get interrupted and looking out for her 1st and foremost. Kim won't return calls, finally she does and says "NO". Lisa calls her twice, no return calls when Lisa asks for her to send some $$ ( Lisa's idea to call her, not ours)
We feel Kim's non-concern is personally wrong, but further I still had to wrap up what I suspected in March before our new problems and now with her not considering what is to the benefit of Lisa I am more determined than ever to find out what I feel isn't right.
I investigate public Records and figure out her local bank she probably banks with, I call them with my daughter present & gave them her SS# and she gave permission for them to discuss her account with me. So BINGO, I find out the bank and that it is in a 1 year CD ($10,000), but the manager said there was no way even with court order the $$ could be accessed. I then did more research into Probate and called the bank to find out account # so I could file with Distric Court here in Vegas (Minors' residence has jurisdiction over Custodian), I did this by just stating my daughter has a CD for $10,000 and I'm just calling about what the total is to date with the interest and in doing so the guy says "There's TWO CD's, do I want them both"? I was shocked! 2 for $10,000 each and I was given the account #'s, never lying and gave my identity as the Mother. I knew there were secrets, lies...too bad no video though huh?
Anyways my husband was shocked too, unknown to both of us the second CD existed. I tryed to figure out what to do and I thought at that time (beginning of Aug.) that a Petition to disburse from a Compromise of Minor's Claim was the form, I filed that along with affidavits of income status asking for an Order to release funds in time of severe financial hardship, for the benefit of the Minor. Judges Secretary told me it was denied only because of Procedure pretty much of wrong forms and basically said if I had the right ones, it would go through...couldn't tell which forms though but advised I get a lawyer....another catch 22..no $$$$$ to hire a lawyer.
Oh, I called NY Surrogates and they were great, looked up records over the phone for me and No Will has been filed yet...which brings this around to....

CON"T below, (next Post)

Last edited:

LuckyLadyT

Ok, She keeps it out of Probate like we figured she was doing which would have been ok if things went like they were supposed to, but I guess GREED got in the way
I finally call her out on the extra $10,000 CD in my daughters' name after talking to banks trying to get them to put a freeze until a court order lifted them, filing that Petition, I kept hitting dead ends and I believe we never would have found out about the other 1 year CD. She was surprised to say the least that we found all of this out and then covered it up by now revealing like it was a "known along thing" that the Fathers' $$$ was split up evenly among the 5 of them....I was like the 5 of them???!!!??? the 5 equals her, Bob, Lisa and her to adult children that were never mentioned bfore and that made sense since the Father didn't mention them while he had that meeting with Son, Bob and Daughter,Kim about minor grandchild Lisa and I assumed the reason for that was because he probably contributed to their college when he was alive since that's when the other 2 grandkids( Kims' kids) went to college.

So now a Will stating 1/2 & 1/2 to Bob & Kim with agreed $10,000 to Lisa verbally and $40,000 to the other 2 we have an even $100,000...Yeah right, nothing comes out that perfect in #'s nor does the right for her to dustribute like that...so Bob and I did another letter of Demand for a copy of the Will, an accounting on the Estate and documentation appointing her custodian of our daughters $$$ that was left to her and stated that if no documentation existed then we expect her to turn the $$ of Lisa's over to us as her parents or go through the courts because who the hell is she to just take control like that? ( not to mention her poor choice in investing to begin with)
She was playing a game in which she was playing all along acting as a fiduciary on the estate, but when she got that letter of demands she used what she knew she could all along to get away with what she did and had a lawyer send a letter stating the property was hers personally by instruction of the Father. and further read; However, Kim voluntarily divided it up equally between the 5 and for the benefit of the 5 people and even considered tax consequences. thus the reason for what turns out as $10,000 a year....
She claimed just at end of Aug. the $$ was distributed like that because she had to wait until all the bills were paid of the Father's, she made a big point of saying that twice...

I know we knew about the joint checking, but after funeral, last medical, expenses we assumed that since she had quick access to that she paid out of that for those things because all along she referred to all the $$$ as Dad's, never once claiming any of this as "her" property. Even going as far as saying the bills out if the estate had to be paid first, hence reason for split payments....so if $$$ was legally hers why would she have to pay his bills? She wouldn't. So therefor, isn't that fraud of some sort misleading and lying to us when we are across the Country relying on her words & trusting her that she was telling the truth when circumstances would ofcourse put her in the position as a Fiduciary when she acted as one the whole time then pulls the rug out when we find out what she did that she purposely left out....like give away a total of $50,000 to other people ($10,000 x-tra to Lisa and $20,000 extra to the other 2 kids each) and now claim it is her personal property?
I just can't see this as being legal..her deceiving us like that.
Also, who the hell is she to decide on that amount of $$$ of my daughters' what to do with it and not discuss such an amount with the parents even...She has it in a Custodial account which will hinder my daughters' finacial aid big time, not to mention the taxes...it will be up to atleast $30,000 when she is 18!!! What can I file to get this $$ away from her atleast, she's an idiot in my eyes and breached because of the refusal to provide docs...even for taxes. Has my daughters' address as hers in NY too, claimed to me she put our address in Las Vegas unti I called IRS and had them send me the copy of 1099 directly and called her out on it. All recorded too...audio.

I left a lot out, but I'm tired of typing as you are reading I'm sure, but most important details are there....
Don't forget there was still the Savings account that wasn't joint a month before he passed and after he came home from hospital, he couldn't speak, was on Morphine and was pretty much in bed....so I think the lawyer was lying or was given information that she decided to give him as such when he wrote "all property was given to Kim by his instruction". What instruction is my Q. to that statement.

BTW, I audio recorded for the last 4 mos. of phone conversation with her referring to herself as acting as a fiduciary the whole time, not as her giving us or our daughter gifts as she now is claiming since Sept 28, 07'.

No, I can't afford an attorney, BUT I am hoping by any of these other possible wrongs there might be a way to get a lawywer on contigency for a civil case based on fraud possibly which might bring on punitive damages into Treble damages?????? Yes? No?
To get an Attorney based on My daughters $$$ as a minor possibly that an upfront charge isn't needed??? Any attorney I can get without upfront $$$? Help please if you know of how I can hire an attorney in my catch 22 situation.

Since she acted as if she was distributing according to Will the whole time does that make her liable to do so at this time if I file Probate without Will (it's the same as far as who get what...1/2 & 1/2) or Compel for the Will?
What could be the other possible avenues or outcomes?

Forms I need to freeze my daughters' CD's atleast, One of them is up soon, October 22, 1 yr. is up & she will take it out & who knows where it will wind up....locked in a custodial savings is the last place it should be and will prob wind up. HELP

If this was done in the manner the Father wanted, my husband would have gotten atleast $45,000 in which we would have bought a house, had equity, & would never be in this struggling situation even though the job loss happened, we wouldn't be going through what we are. More terrible even is the sadness that Dads' wishes have not been carried out as he wished them and it's all due to Greed, sickening, sad and now has turned into a Family Feud".

Thanks again for your patience if you made it this far reading, I appreciate it and am looking foward to any advice you may have &/or suggestions on who to contact, forms to file on my own, and anything else you may have to offer up to me.

~T

Dandy Don

Kim has screwed everything up by not submitting the will for probate. Your husband, as an heir, can force probate to be opened up by hiring a probate attorney to open up probate and then asking the judge to ask Kim to produce it. This is NOT a do-it-yourself project. After probate is opened up she will have to provide an official accounting to display all assets and how they were distributed. She did not have the official legal authority to act as executor until the will is filed, but getting her to provide the official accounting is going to be much easier than filing a lawsuit against her for anything else.

What city and county in New York does this apply to? Do a GOOGLE search using the city (in quotation marks) and "probate attorney" in quotation marks to get a list of about 5-10 probate attorneys who you can contact by e-mail or phone to discuss the particulars (BRIEFLY) about your situation to get a fee quote or see if they would be willing to handle your case. The first consultation is usually free or very inexpensive. Don't say you CAN'T afford a probate attorney--if you and your husband work you can work out a payment plan, or the attorney may be able to bill the executor or the estate if there are any undistributed assets left.

You can find almost any bank or other expert on custodial accounts to advise you on how to gain control of the CD's, depending on how they are titled (whose names are on there as the actual owners).

Do you know whether or not Kim had a signed power of attorney before father died, to handle all of his financial affairs?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

LuckyLadyT

Your husband, as an heir, can force probate to be opened up by hiring a probate attorney to open up probate and then asking the judge to ask Kim to produce it.
We've already done the Demand letter to her & Clerks Office said I now can send in the forn to "Compel for Production of Will" I can start there while attaining a lawyer right? Is that the same as forcing probate to be opened?

This is NOT a do-it-yourself project.
Yes, I agree and will try my hardest to attain an attorney. However, I have only util the 22nd to atleast put a stop on my daughters' CD from being withdrawn.

She did not have the official legal authority to act as executor until the will is filed, but getting her to provide the official accounting is going to be much easier than filing a lawsuit against her for anything else.
Ok, point taken, but will a lawsuit still be able to be filed? Do you think due to her misconduct and how it affected our lives in a REAL way which is pretty severe? Out of curiosity right now, this is Fraud I'd think, right?- your opinion...

What city and county in New York does this apply to?
Albany County, Town of Colonie

or the attorney may be able to bill the executor or the estate if there are any undistributed assets left.
Well, that's the thing, she distributed $50,000 to people she wasn't supposed to, $60,000 all together if you take away my daughter part being oral and agreed upon by the 3 of them, but not actually in the Will. Wouldn't that be her responsibility to get the missing $$ back? She has a house, barely any left owed on it...almost a clear deed so she does have assets & a sell could be forced...Yes, seems cruel, but she was cruel and we've had it with her.

You can find almost any bank or other expert on custodial accounts to advise you on how to gain control of the CD's, depending on how they are titled (whose names are on there as the actual owners).
Not really so, I have tryed, I called 3 branches of her Bank in her area & administations and they don't even understand the simple fact that those accounts are completed gifts and my daughter is responsible for the taxes and that she is the "actualowner". I seriously am wondering how these people are allowed to advise people on opening accounts...they should be fired! Yes, they are under my daughters SS# and 1099s in her name.
I know I can show good cause for her removal&/or atleast cause to release funds on account of our hardship & for the benefit of the Minor, but NOWHERE can I find what form I need and I know I can file in Las Vegas, send the Order to Admin. Office of Bank and they will release funds to me within a day, maby 2, but I can't find what form I need to file and I've tryed everything...the county clerk of Distric C pointed me to Comp of Minors' Claim as did the Law Library of Vegas and look where that got me WRONG FORM, PLEASE help me with this, I know I can manage this part of it....Please!?!???

Do you know whether or not Kim had a signed power of attorney before father died, to handle all of his financial affairs?
No, I'm not sure honestly, which would be better in this case to make case less difficult, if she was POA or not?

BTW, hubby has given me Durable POA so I can handle this case and everything, we just need to file w/ Recorders Office.

TY for your response, hopefully you may be able to help a little further, I realie these are opinions and not legal advices...so please, anything more would be great.
I appreciate it!

Last edited:

Indiana Filer

~Father moved into Daughters house (Mother passed years b-4) 4 & 1/2 mos. before he passed knowing he didn't have long. At this time Father made Daughter a Joint holder on checking account of appro $80,000 which was out of convenience and to avoid those funds from Probate, but was expressed and understood between the 3 of them (Father,Daughter & Son)that those funds were to be divided as per Will except for the portion for the grandaughter.
How was the account held when he added his daughter to the account? If he added his daughter as joint account holder, the money probably passed to her when he died. It doesn't matter if it was "understood" that the money was to be split. If her name was on the account, it's probably her money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">