• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

As executor do I have to pay the balance

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NothingIsSimple

What is the name of your state?Calif

My aunt was excutor of my mother's estate. My aunt died before probate was finished. We went back to court and now I am the excutor and sole heir. Between paying the atty fees and my cousins not waiving executor fees (since my aunt died before signing the waiver of fees) there isnt enough money after I pay the atty fees to pay my cousins - so do I have to make up the difference ? In other words I dont have the funds personally and would have to secure a loan for $2,000 which is impossible because of the divorce I am going thru - my credit is shot - there are no funds and I doubt I can qualify for a loan to pay my cousins the balance of fees. This is so wrong - the money is my parents and in the event of their death, as in most cases what money or assets they acquired is for their children - yet the attorney gets half and the other half goes to my cousins and I have to borrow to pay the shortage of funds and give to my cousins ????????????? If what I am wondering and thinking is the way it is - then this is truly a sad state of affairs.

Appreciate any and all suggestions, answers and advice and thank you for your time. :confused:

seniorjudge

You need to ask your lawyer these questions.

My best guess, however, is that the court will order you to pay all the bills owed by the state until it is exhausted (i.e., no money left) and then that will be the end of that. All of the assets must be liquidated (i.e., turned into money).

You are not liable personally for any of the estate's bills.

You probably will not wind up with anything either.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">