• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor of Estate - No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EnchantingImage

From Oklahoma, but I think this is a general question...

Father just passed without a will. I need a document saying I am the Executor of his Estate. A lawyer told me that we need to have documents signed by all of his kids saying they do not contest the fact that I am the executor (he was divorced, so mom doesn't count.) Then that has to be filed with the court. He wanted to charge about $1,000 altogether when it was all said and done.

Could I just get whatever required documents, have them sign the documents, and file them with the court myself? Is there a list of steps I can do myself to make this happen?

Dandy Don

You can be executor by going to the county courthouse and filling out the appropriate filing form they will give you. Soon after filing you will receive an official, certified document called "letters testamentary" and this is the document you were interested in.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">