• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor Fees

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jamjammac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
How much should I pay the executor of my grandfather's estate? The estate is about $100,000. Can he demand an amount without agreement from the heirs?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

anteater

The executor is paid form estate funds.

I believe that Colorado only requires that the compensation be reasonable.

You can raise an objection with the court if you feel that the executor's compensation request is unreasonable.

Dandy Don

The heirs do not have to agree on what the fee is. Talk with about 2-3 other probate attorneys to get an idea of what reasonable compensation is, since the law does not specify an exact percentage.

...fees

Thank you for your replies. Is there an average percentage, just so I know we are in the ball park?
Check with Colorado probate courts, since fees are set by statute. From what I understand, the fees are on a sliding scale when it comes to executor.The data is from 2-5 % for New York State, but it is different in every state.

I was able to find to booklet w/ commission chart for NY state: (you need to find the same as it perains to the sate you are living in CO)
Executor Commissions
5% of the first $100K
4% of the next $200K
3% of the next $700K
2 1/2% of the next $4Mil
2% of all sums over $5Mil

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">