• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor fees in Illinois

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

unclecharlie

What is the name of your state? Illinois
I'm executor for my Dad's $200k estate in central Illinois. I'm told that I should present an accounting of my hours and the judge will approve the fees. What is a reasonable per hour rate to charge for executor fees? I have about 150 hours into this and it's not finished yet almost two years after his death. Appreciate any guidance from your experience in this area in Illinois.

Dandy Don

Start talking to any local attorney about this or by looking at Illinois probate law online, since an Illinois probate attorney may not be reading this message board. Your executor fee will almost certainly be based on a percentage of the value of the estate, NOT on an hourly basis.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

unclecharlie

Thanks for the response from OK but the attorney who did the probate filing tells me that a percentage fee is not legal in Illinois, that I need an accounting of what I did and the time involved. I have the time but want to charge a reasonable hourly rate based on others in Illinois. I want to be fair to my siblings without short-changing myself. Any Illinois people out there?

seniorjudge

If you have a friendly probate clerk, you could ask to see similar cases and see what the judge has approved before.

If not, then put down what you think is reasonable.

If all the heirs agree, it will probably fly.

If not, the judge will reduce it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">