• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor & Firearm Transfers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cheapo

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? CA

I am posting this for my friend. The Stepfather lived in Colorado and Don the Executor of the estate lives in California.

I recently became the executor of my stepfathers estate and he had many firearms, rifles shotguns and pistols etc. It was not so stipulated in his will but, he made it known to me that he wanted his nephew to have his guns. I have no quarrel with this as I do not wish to own them.

I was hoping someone could recommend how I should go about facilitating the transfer so I am not responsible for these firarms any longer. I live in California and so does his nephew. I am not familiar with the laws regarding transfers in this or any other state.

The nephew says there is no waiting or registration on tranfers to family members but, is a nephew "immediate family" or not? From what I have read, it is not clear and I do not want to make a mistake.

Thank you,

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">