• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor is only beneficiary...must I do an inventory, assets, etc to everyone else?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fellowtraveler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
I am the executor, and only beneficiary of my widowed father estate. The net worth of his estate is about 100k. Am I obligated to make an inventory of the household, furniture, with appraised values for those not named in the will? Must I tell them his net worth when he died? I've already given some of his cherished antiques to younger family members...what are my legal duties?

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? wa
I am the executor, and only beneficiary of my widowed father estate. The net worth of his estate is about 100k. Am I obligated to make an inventory of the household, furniture, with appraised values for those not named in the will? Must I tell them his net worth when he died? I've already given some of his cherished antiques to younger family members...what are my legal duties?
You have undertaken the solemn, fiduciary responsibilities as PR of your late father's estate AND you must naively ask strangers as to your "legal duties"?!

I suggest that you read Title 11 of the Revised Code of Washington Probate and Trust Law and then decide whether you can safely proceed without professional assistance.

Learning criminal laws is a walk in the park compared to comprehending probate law.

fellowtraveler

My siblings are not happy

You have undertaken the solemn, fiduciary responsibilities as PR of your late father's estate AND you must naively ask strangers as to your "legal duties"?!

I suggest that you read Title 11 of the Revised Code of Washington Probate and Trust Law and then decide whether you can safely proceed without professional assistance.

Thank you..they are not strangers, they are my two elder sisters who are furious that I have inherited his home. I have cared for him for years. He spent alot of his money to make his house ADA and I was the carpenter, he funded his handrails, etc. He was 95 when he died. There was not much cash left. Sis accused me of coercing him. Other Sis wants a list of ALL of his assets, books, momentos, etc. I have given valuable heirlooms to their kids already...What is my legal responsibility?

The are hounding me for a his "net worth" and the LIST of possessions. The two sisters wanted to put Dad in a nursing home but I did not. They live 3 hours away. I live 1 mile down the street. They are both married to rich lawyers and don't work. I work full time to support my disabled wife for crying out loud!

What do I owe them? They are being very nasty...and our sibling relationship has changed and taken a nasty unexpected turn.

LdiJ

Thank you..they are not strangers, they are my two elder sisters who are furious that I have inherited his home. I have cared for him for years. He spent alot of his money to make his house ADA and I was the carpenter, he funded his handrails, etc. He was 95 when he died. There was not much cash left. Sis accused me of coercing him. Other Sis wants a list of ALL of his assets, books, momentos, etc. I have given valuable heirlooms to their kids already...What is my legal responsibility?

The are hounding me for a his "net worth" and the LIST of possessions. The two sisters wanted to put Dad in a nursing home but I did not. They live 3 hours away. I live 1 mile down the street. They are both married to rich lawyers and don't work. I work full time to support my disabled wife for crying out loud!

What do I owe them? They are being very nasty...and our sibling relationship has changed and taken a nasty unexpected turn.

I don't believe that you have any legal responsibility to disclose anything to your sisters.

tranquility

I've got an idea, why don't you do as latigo said? Read the code and then determine if you can proceed without legal representation. I might start at:

RCW 11.44.015
Inventory and appraisement — Filing — Copy distribution.

(1) Within three months after appointment, unless a longer time shall be granted by the court, every personal representative shall make and verify by affidavit a true inventory and appraisement of all of the property of the estate passing under the will or by laws of intestacy and which shall have come to the personal representative's possession or knowledge, including a statement of all encumbrances, liens, or other secured charges against any item. The personal representative shall determine the fair net value, as of the date of the decedent's death, of each item contained in the inventory after deducting the encumbrances, liens, and other secured charges on the item. Such property shall be classified as follows:

(a) Real property, by legal description;

(b) Stocks and bonds;

(c) Mortgages, notes, and other written evidences of debt;

(d) Bank accounts and money;

(e) Furniture and household goods;

(f) All other personal property accurately identified, including the decedent's proportionate share in any partnership, but no inventory of the partnership property shall be required of the personal representative.

(2) The inventory and appraisement may, but need not be, filed in the probate cause, but upon receipt of a written request for a copy of the inventory and appraisement from any heir, legatee, devisee, unpaid creditor who has filed a claim, or beneficiary of a nonprobate asset from whom contribution is sought under RCW 11.18.200, or from the department of revenue, the personal representative shall furnish to the person, within ten days of receipt of a request, a true and correct copy of the inventory and appraisement.

[1997 c 252 § 41; 1967 c 168 § 9; 1965 c 145 § 11.44.015. Formerly RCW 11.44.010, part and 11.44.020, part.]

Notes:
Application -- 1997 c 252 §§ 1-73: See note following RCW 11.02.005.
Inventory and appraisement on death of partner -- Filing: RCW 11.64.002.
Now, either the OP or his attorney can determine if the sisters are heirs if they are not a beneficiary under the will.

fellowtraveler

Ok, I hired an attorney.

I've got an idea, why don't you do as latigo said? Read the code and then determine if you can proceed without legal representation. I might start at:

Now, either the OP or his attorney can determine if the sisters are heirs if they are not a beneficiary under the will.

I have hired an attorney. gulp. Thanks everyone. Now get outside and enjoy the rest of the summer!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">