• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rustiallen

What is the name of your state?
new jersey

my brother is the executor of my father's estate. my father past roughly a year and a half ago. everything was fine until recently. i found a life insurance policly with me as the beneficiary. i called the insurance co and they said my brother had to sign and send the executor paper in order to release the money to me. i gathered all the info needed and sent it off to my brother to be signed and mailed, but he is refusing to do it because he feels he's done and shouldn't have to do any more. i'm very frustrated and at a loss as to what my options are if any. any suggestions?

FlyingRon

What is the name of your state?
new jersey

my brother is the executor of my father's estate. my father past roughly a year and a half ago. everything was fine until recently. i found a life insurance policly with me as the beneficiary. i called the insurance co and they said my brother had to sign and send the executor paper in order to release the money to me. i gathered all the info needed and sent it off to my brother to be signed and mailed, but he is refusing to do it because he feels he's done and shouldn't have to do any more. i'm very frustrated and at a loss as to what my options are if any. any suggestions?
What paper? Beneficiaries to life insurance policies are not part of the estate settlement and I'm not sure what role the executor would have. What do they want him to sign? I agree with your brother, he shouldn't be involved (though he is being a prick for not helping you).

Dandy Don

Something is a bit odd about what the insurance company told you because it seems to be outside of normal procedure (it's difficult to know for sure whether they are telling you the truth about this or not). Normal procedure is to issue a check to the named beneficiary and there would seem to be no need for the executor to even be involved in this. Contact the insurance company again and ask them to send YOU, by certified mail (so there will be proof that they sent it) the documents they want the executor to sign so you can see what the forms are. Then file a complaint with the New Jersey State Insurance Commissioner (you can do a GOOGLE search to find his website) so that the commissioner can perhaps investigate on your behalf.

Would you possibly want to offer your brother a percentage of the insurance payment to get him to agree to do the paperwork?

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">