• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mikevalleyct

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My father is named to be executor of a will. I am named second, in the event of his death. Unfortunately he is now 97 with advanced dementia (we have incompetency paper from doctor for months now). Now, the person for which he is named executor just died. Can I just step in as the executor or do we need to file some sort of papers to drop the executor down to the next in line (me)? This will falls under the CT small estate law (under 40K no property) . The will is very simple - it basically has 2 specified heirs (churches) to receive some money, and then everything else to my father. The person who died has absolutely no family.

justalayman

The naming of an executor in the will is actually a nomination. The court actually has to confer the actual title of executor on any given party. I would apply with you as exec. If questioned, be sure to have dad's information handy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">