• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor refuses to show us will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

execsupport

What is the name of your state? SC

My mother, age 77, died a week ago. Sister #1 lived with her. Sister #2 and I asked for a copy of the will a couple of days after her death. Sister #1 just smiled and said we'd get a copy when it was all over. That's when we found out the executor was the ex-husband of Sister #1 and the father of her children. We asked him for a copy of the will and he said he would not give us a copy until after it was probated. He also told us a new will had been made within the last 12 months. He and Sister #1 insist they have not read the will.

Sister #2 and I suspect that the will leaves everything to Sister #1 and her children. There is medical evidence that Mom had become delusional, paranoid, confused, etc during the last year or two. She was afraid that Sister #1 would move out and she bought a lot of luxury items for her. I tried to have Adult Protective Services look into it but they never returned my calls even though they said the situation didn't sound right.

Mom had taken out 3 large life insurance policies with Sister #1 as beneficiary. She told my other sister and I that she had given Sister #1 explicit instructions as to how to divide the policies. I could not get her to understand that she needed to do this by making us beneficiaries but she insisted my sister would do what she told her to do. It is my understanding that the instructions were verbal.

My husband and I looked up the probate court and found that if the will goes to probate, it can be declared valid. We believe we can challenge the validity based on Mom's mental state. However, they are trying to get it through probate without showing us a copy.

What steps should we take? Can we challenge the validity after it has gone through probate?

justalayman

Mom had taken out 3 large life insurance policies with Sister #1 as beneficiary. She told my other sister and I that she had given Sister #1 explicit instructions as to how to divide the policies. I could not get her to understand that she needed to do this by making us beneficiaries but she insisted my sister would do what she told her to do. It is my understanding that the instructions were verbal.
whomever is named bene gets the money with no strings attached. period.

My husband and I looked up the probate court and found that if the will goes to probate, it can be declared valid. We believe we can challenge the validity based on Mom's mental state. However, they are trying to get it through probate without showing us a copy
.the will would have to be probated. at that time, you can see it (it's a public file) and if you believe it to be invalid for some reason, that is when and where you contest it. By filing it in probate court does not make it valid. That is part of what happens when probating an estate, validating the will or invalidating it if evidence supports it and over seeing the distribution of the estate.

You can also object to the naming of the executor. It is up to the court to name a person administrator. The will naming one person is merely a nomination, you can toss your name in there as well. If probate has not been opened, you could even do that and apply as administrator.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">