• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the executor required to disclose information?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadguybob

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MO

My mother-in-law and her sister do not get along. Their dad passed away a few months ago. The sister is the executor of his will and is not forthcoming with information. Apparently the dad left monies in separate bank accounts for his children, however my mother-in-law does not have any account information. Her sister is not providing this information. Is the executor required to provide this information?

Thanks for any and all responses.

Kind regards,
JT

anteater

Check the probate file at the courthouse. The personal representative is supposed to file an inventory within 3 months of appointment. I believe that the inventory would include any accounts with designated beneficiaries, but I won't swear to it.

cadguybob

Thanks for the response.
Can this be done long distance? The documents would be in Missouri and the mother-in-law is in Michigan. I'm in Texas.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">