• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor sell house in probate to heir

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kasmir

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? WI

I am executor for my brother-in-law. I have paid creditors of notice - the ones who filed with probate court His house would net $165,000 if sold by a Realtor. Even though the tax assessment is for $200,000, it was in a terrible state of disrepair and nearly unmarketable. I have put many hours and much sweat into fixing it up on my own. The remaining mortgage is $135,000. Can I sell this house to the heir - his mother - to pay off the mortgage? If yes, at what price? I want to close this estate. One extension has been granted already - but the family would like to keep the house. I guess I can not buy it as I do not want to be accused of "self-dealing."

anteater

This is confusing.

Who stands to inherit the house under the terms of the will or intestacy? Your brother-in-law's mother? If so, why would you need to sell it to her?

Who is the family that you refer to?

Why were you fixing it up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">