• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor taking advantage of executorship?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mknight1969

Wisconsin-

What is the general rule of thumb as far as expenses accrued to an estate while the estate is in probate? Should expenses such as home owners insurance and the fees to heat the home be paid by the estate?

I moved into my aunt's home in January of 2009 to care for her while she was dying of cancer. She died 9/9/09 and left her estate in 25% shares to me, her two sisters and her brother.

My Uncle (my aunt's brother) was named executor as my mother declined. My uncle's wife is a very greedy woman and is basically running the show.

I still live in my aunt's home and my uncle's wife has drawn up a letter blaming me for the condition of the home, which is bad due to many pets that my aunt had. The letter demands that I fix many things wrong in the house as well as pay $700 a month for utilities. They want to have a lease agreement drawn up.

I see it as I am the caretaker of the estate and have no problem paying a portion of the expenses that are accrued although I feel that the other heirs should be partially responsible as well.

If no one was living there who would be responsible?

Please help as I KNOW that my greedy aunt is trying to get as much money in her pocket as possible.

nextwife

If no one was living there, there'd be no NEED to heat it (could be winterized and unheated) and electric costs would be really minor, under $25/month.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">