• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor of will has stolen from deceased Mother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Diane Bell

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?PA

My sister is the executor of our mother's will. There are 5 siblings. Our sister took in our mother the last 5 months of her life. Our mother home was for sale and their was a realtors lock box on the door, no one had access to the home except for our sister. After many months, we got word the home sold, when the lock was removed from the home, we were devistated when we entered the home as we discovered the sister removed any and all personal belongings. She left rotted food in the refrigerator, cupboards, she took sentimenatl items that mattered to the rest of us plus everything and anything else she wanted. She refused to communicate with anyone about anything from the sale of the home. We weren't allowe to know anything about our mothers health care, sale of her home, cremation, graveside service.....nothing. We were kept in the dark. I finally called our mothers estate attorney, she explained to me that she is representing our sister and said our sister didn't have to update us or tell us anything regarding our mothers estate.
Our Mom did leave a very generic short will stating that there needs to be a division of the contents of the home.We know the that cannot happen now because of the home being sold while still containing property and the sister stole many items and refuses to communicate. Nothing we can do about that now. My question is about some jewelry our mother had. It's not much jewelry, not expensive items either but I have nothing that belonged to my Mom. Our whole life time, our Mother said the jewelry would bedivided up 50/50 between my sister and I. We would have one of us go first and pick something until thec contents were gone. Needless to say, the sister quickly moved Mom's jewelry box to her home where it remains today. Mom passed away Oct 2012 and none of us have gotten any money as of yet from the sale of the home. Mom never indicated anything about jewelry in the will but she did tell all of us what her intentions were with it. Do I legally have a leg to stand on? I did receive a letter fro the estate attorney that the jewelry will be addressed in the accounting of the will. Not sure what that means. If I refuse to sign papers agreeing to the monetary amount to be divided up when the time comes, will it stop my siblings from getting their share? I don't want to delay anyone from getting anything. I thank you in advance for your help.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It sounds as if your mother's estate has not been settled. The jewelry can't be split yet. And, by the way, the jewelry will be split 5 ways (per the will), not 2 ways. And I hate to be the one to say this, but splitting something 5 ways usually means selling it and splitting the money.

anteater

Probably the majority of probate estates in PA are settled through an informal process generally referred to as a "family settlement agreement." The personal representative presents information about the administration (an inventory, an accounting, etc.) and the proposed distribution to the beneficiaries. And asks for their approval, which is then filed with the court. If any of the beneficiaries is not satisfied and rejects the agreement, the personal representative submits all the detailed information to the court clerk's office for audit, a hearing is scheduled, objections, if any, heard by the court, and the court issues an order of distribution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">