• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

executor's authority

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul Clinebell

undefined Illinois Does the exeuctor have the responsibililty to pay outstanding debts from the estate's bank account? IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?

randalljoseph

In the same boat

I am also from Il. and was left with paperwork dating back to 2002, so I am interested in the reply you get. I have no idea what was paid and what was not all was given to me in several mixed boxes from my sister.

anteater

Paul Clinebell said:
undefined Illinois Does the exeuctor have the responsibililty to pay outstanding debts from the estate's bank account? IllinoisWhat is the name of your state?
If there are legitimate claims against the estate, then the executor must pay them.

Why did you feel the need to specify "from the estate's bank account?"

Paul Clinebell

anteater said:
If there are legitimate claims against the estate, then the executor must pay them.

Why did you feel the need to specify "from the estate's bank account?"
The decessed left a bank account that has been used by the person with power of attorney. Isn't this now the estate bank account? It is the only source of funds the executor has to pay any outstanding debts.

Dandy Don

How much was wrongfully taken?

Perhaps the bank does not know that the decedent is dead, and the executor needs to inform the bank of this so that person with POA doesn't get any more money. And that was an illegal transaction, since the POA expired when the death occurred (maybe the POA didn't know this), so you need to ask the bank to send POA a letter asking for return of the money.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Paul Clinebell

Dandy Don said:
How much was wrongfully taken?

Perhaps the bank does not know that the decedent is dead, and the executor needs to inform the bank of this so that person with POA doesn't get any more money. And that was an illegal transaction, since the POA expired when the death occurred (maybe the POA didn't know this), so you need to ask the bank to send POA a letter asking for return of the money.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
If the person with POA and the executor is the same preson. how is the bank account made available so the executor can pay the outstanding medical bills?
This is in Illinois

BlondiePB

If the person with POA and the executor is the same preson. how is the bank account made available so the executor can pay the outstanding medical bills?
Was this a joint account with the POA as the co-owner?

dmode101

Paul Clinebell said:
This is in Illinois
By petitioning the court to be named executor and obtaining letters of office.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">