• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor's Power in unequal distribution

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PA/NJTrouble

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? PA

My unmarried sister, Ann, died 8 months ago. Her will stated to "divide her estate between her 8 siblings" (she had no children). She named my sister Brenda as executor.

The total value of her estate is approx $160,000. Her estate includes a 16% share of a NJ vacation home. This share is worth approximately $40,000. The remaining 84% of the vacation home is owned by two of my other sisters (Carrie and Diane).

Carrie and Diane, (as well as most of the beneficiaries), do not believe that my deceased sister wanted her share of the vacation home to be a part of her estate. There is no documentation, however to back up this claim. They would like the executor to give the estate's share of the vacation home to them outright and then divide the remainder of the estate between all 8 siblings. In the end each beneficiary would receive $15,000 while Carrie and Diane would receive $15,000 plus $20,000 each in the form of property.

Does the executor have the power to do this or is she bound to divide the estate equally (although the Will did not use the word equally)?

Is there any way to give the executor the power to do this if all of the beneficiaries agree to it?

Is there any way to remove the property from the estate without having to "sell" it? (i.e. can it be given as a gift?)

Can the executor sell the $40,000 worth of property to Carrie and Diane for $1?

I think that many of my siblings are angry at the executor for things over which she has no control.

PA/NJTrouble

I don't know whether of not I've indicated that I wanted a private (email) answer, so if you could answer within this thread it would be greatly appreciated.

I anxiously look forward to your response. Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">