• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor's rights to sell property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

marklyn

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am the independent executor of my mother's estate. All she had is a house, no car, no bank account, stocks, etc., just house and furnishings. I have 4 brothers. One of my brothers lives directly across the street from my mother's house and he is insisting that he has full rights to refuse to sell the house to any 'undesireables'.

I, and my other brothers, want to move on the house sale and put it up for sale with a Realtor and get it sold. My troublesome brother wants to try and sell it himself, presumably to sell to the 'right' people. He keeps harping that he won't sign anything if I put it up for sale and he's not happy with who is interested in buying it.

Frankly, I want to sell the house to the highest, qualified bidder. This is not a huge estate. House is probably only worth 50-70K. I've been managing my mother's affairs for the past 10 years and I was also her POA if that helps to know.

Advice or insight is appreciated. I think I read somewhere that he could force some type of legal proceedings against me if he doesn't agree.

Last edited:

BlondiePB

What is the name of your state? Texas
I am the independent executor of my mother's estate. All she had is a house, no car, no bank account, stocks, etc., just house and furnishings. I have 4 brothers. One of my brothers lives directly across the street from my mother's house and he is insisting that he has full rights to refuse to sell the house to any 'undesireables'.

I, and my other brothers, want to move on the house sale and put it up for sale with a Realtor and get it sold. My troublesome brother wants to try and sell it himself, presumably to sell to the 'right' people. He keeps harping that he won't sign anything if I put it up for sale and he's not happy with who is interested in buying it.

Frankly, I want to sell the house to the highest, qualified bidder. This is not a huge estate. House is probably only worth 50-70K. I've been managing my mother's affairs for the past 10 years and I was also her POA if that helps to know.

Advice or insight is appreciated. I think I read somewhere that he could force some type of legal proceedings against me if he doesn't agree.
If mom's will give you, the executor, the discretion of disposing of her property as you choose, tell your PITA (pain-in-the-a$$) brother to "bite rocks". :D

Your POA expired the moment mom passed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">