• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executors rights or wrongs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebeast

What is the name of your state? Kentucky

My girlfriends mother recently died and left her the house and quite a bit of money in life insurance policies. Before her mother died my girlfriend(who we'll call SB) moved in w/me and her brother and his wife(who we'll call G and L) moved in w/her mother. SB lived w/her mother for 4 years previous and was listed on the deed of the house as half owner, and when she moved out she left a few things at the house until she had a chance to come and get them and that was ok w/her mother. But without her mother knowing it G and L took the things that belonged to SB and threw them away and somehow L was made executor of the estate before SBs mom died. Well, yesterday we had to go to the attorney who was in charge of the will and G and L talked to the attorney and told him some stuff about SB and the lawyer said that he didn't want to go into the particulars of it, but from what G and L had said that they wanted the house and the life insurance policies in exchange for letting "bygones be bygones"......SB is afraid that L will try to take her to court over some bad checks that had been supposedly written by SB when her mother was alive(but her mom didn't press any charges)....so my question is this, what exactly are the powers of the executor of the estate and does she have any right to seemingly blackmail SB since the matter of the checks has blown over(like i said, that was last year and her mom didn't press any charges)...........if you can reply to by via email that would be greatly appreicated

Dandy Don

They are not entitled to house and life insurance just because they want it. Estate will be divided according to how the will instructs. Don't be blackmailed--the bygones excuse is worthless. So what if charges are pressed--that is a separate matter that must be dealt with then.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

Q: SB is afraid that L will try to take her to court over some bad checks that had been supposedly written by SB when her mother was alive(but her mom didn't press any charges)....so my question is this, what exactly are the powers of the executor of the estate and does she have any right to seemingly blackmail SB since the matter of the checks has blown over(like i said, that was last year and her mom didn't press any charges)...........if you can reply to by via email that would be greatly appreicated

A: The executors of an estate are bound by law to collect all the assets of the estate and also to collect the debts of the estate. Thus, SB needs to cough up the money she took from ma.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">