• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executrix Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Djones2012

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut/New York
My sister has been executrix of my mom's estate since Dec, 2009. My mom died in NY, but lived in New Jersey. My sister sold the house in NJ and bought a guardianship (which was unnecessary) in New Jersey. My sister hired a lawyer in NY to "take care" of my mom's remaining asset, which is a checking account that now holds the proceeds from the sale of the house. Early in 2010 I asked my sister to provide the balance of the checking account. She would not provide the information I asked for and got mad and told me she "never wanted to see or hear from me again". Since then, I've been trying to get information from that lawyer that my sister hired which has been futile. The lawyer gives me the run-around and has never complied with the requests in writing that I've made. Since I can't get information from my sister OR her lawyer, I feel that there is something seriously wrong here; the lawyer is colluding with my sister and not providing requested information to me, like a FINAL ACCOUNTING. I need to know what recourse I have as an heir. Someone needs to be held accountable, but I don't know where to go. Would writing the NY Attorney General help? Thanks for any direction you can give.

anteater

Would writing the NY Attorney General help?
No.

My mom died in NY, but lived in New Jersey.
Where was probate opened? If your Mother was domiciled in NJ, then probate should take place there.

My sister sold the house in NJ and bought a guardianship...
One does not "buy" a guardianship. And, what a guardianship would have to do with is a mystery. Apparently, you mean something else.

She would not provide the information I asked for and got mad and told me she "never wanted to see or hear from me again".
Ignore her. Put your requests for information in writing.

Then, retain an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">