• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

False legal action against dead father

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jono123

(UK law) My father just passed away from a serious illness. In the last days of his illness someone had a solicitor send letters making false accusations of sexual assault from many decades ago, and demanding money. She knew he was very soon to pass away. No criminal or civil complaint had ever been made before. As I'm the executor of the will, that person is now having their solicitor chase me for money. Can I just ignore this, as the claim is false, and has no authority? She has presented no "evidence" and there is no "witness". Thank you so much.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
(UK law) My father just passed away from a serious illness. In the last days of his illness someone had a solicitor send letters making false accusations of sexual assault from many decades ago, and demanding money. She knew he was very soon to pass away. No criminal or civil complaint had ever been made before. As I'm the executor of the will, that person is now having their solicitor chase me for money. Can I just ignore this, as the claim is false, and has no authority? She has presented no "evidence" and there is no "witness". Thank you so much.
Hello Jono - I like to be the first to welcome the whole of the UK to the United States. I'm sorry that I didn't do this earlier, but I've been away from the various news outlets and, apparently, failed to get the word that the US had annexed the UK.

(This forum is for US law only)

Just Blue

Hello Jono - I like to be the first to welcome the whole of the UK to the United States. I'm sorry that I didn't do this earlier, but I've been away from the various news outlets and, apparently, failed to get the word that the US had annexed the UK.

(This forum is for US law only)
wise azz!! :p

JMPUSMCRet

Claim stopped Probate from proceeding.

My step father(SF) passed suddenly ,F. U. Cancer, didn't have a will, my mother was told that the process has been halted by a claim of owed child support, although all the previous back child support claims the she was able to get from my SF's ex say case closed, the probate lawyer says she will not release any of the probate documents until this new claim is settled. Does this sound correct?

FlyingRon

Yes, the estate administrator is obliged to make sure that there are not any claims against the estate before distributing anything. Alas, even if it appears groundless, it's going to have to be resolved first.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">