• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Falsely Contesting Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dun

What is the name of your state? NY

My "sister" is contesting my grandmother's Will out of spite. My grandmother didn't really have anything in her estate. She had a car worth about $3000 that my sister gave away or sold without authority (shouldn't she have to pay for this?)

There was $30,000 that she told me to keep from this same sister when she moved into gramma's home (I had POA at the time and was responsible for my gramma's health, finances, etc. She knew this sister would steal from her).

Anyway, it's a good thing I had the funds because I've exhausted it paying bills and my gramma's burial expenses, as well as numerous false lawsuits brought on by this same "sister." I have immaculate records for everything. Gramma named me executor because she knew I was honest and reliable. I never asked her for anything. I never needed her hard-earned money.

This spiteful sister has yet again blatantly lied to the courts and said that my grandmother was under duress and not competent when she signed the Will (yet she had her sign TWO Power of Attorney's 6 months AFTER the Will was done!). She said that there were no witnesses, yet her own boyfriend was a witness (plus one other, my gramma's old friend) and a legitimate attorney was present. Why is this even allowed to go to court?

This evil creature also claims I stole $120,000 from my grandmother (she never even had that amount of money in her life!) when SHE was the one living in the house and actually took $30K in cash from gramma. When the Will was being done, she was in Atlantic City gambling away the money.

The only reason I filed the Will with the courts to become executor was so that I could sue her and make her responsible for the money she stole from gramma (she was in a nursing home the last 6 months of her life and my sister was living in her house, collecting/spending the rent money and spending her social security money--I was paying the bills. Plus, she fraudulently used gramma's credit to buy stuff worth over $8000 and never paid. She lied under oath in a guardianship hearing that she was paying for the stuff, that they were a "GIFT" to gramma, but she never paid for them. Now the store is calling me, demanding the money from the estate). There's not enough money in the estate to pay them, but she should be responsible.

Anyway, now I will have to go to court and spend thousands of dollars to defend myself against spiteful lies. This doesn't seem fair. Wacko ex-sister belongs to a union and has been abusing the union lawyer for the past two years to harass me and file frivilous lawsuits.

Is there anything I can do about this? Can I sue her for my expenses? Also, she and her lawyer paid extra to demand a trial by jury (which I think is hilarious, she's just shooting herself in the foot, but it wastes my time and money that should've been divided).

Oh, another twist to this story, my grandmother put her home into a trust for all three of us granddaughters before she died. When she passed away in Sept. 2005, we inherited the house equally. But of course, the spiteful sister refuses to move out of the house and would not allow us to sell. We tried to negotiate to no avail. The ironic thing is that I am the one paying all the bills for the house--taxes, insurance, water bill, etc. while she's renting the place out and making money.

She doesn't even pay rent while me and my other sister have to pay our mortgages and be responsible adults. We considered filing a partition action, but our lawyer suggested an agreement to avoid the time and expense of such litigation (which cost thousands for us anyway and nothing for her).

In the meantime, I have to gear myself up for her contesting the Will. How can I protect myself? Do I have any other recourse? This is very frustrating and makes me disgusted with the legal system.

If we have a trial, can I sue her for punitive damages? She needs to PAY!

Thank you.
Dun

Dandy Don

Give her a copy of your accounting to show how you spent the money and ask her to withdraw her suit. And then talk to your attorney about whether it is worth it to threaten to charge her with abuse of POA if she doesn't withdraw the lawsuit. I'll bet HER accounting records for the $30,000 aren't as accurate as yours and she'll be guilty if she can't prove how she should have spent the money for the lady's personal care, not on herself.

Dandy Don

You and the other granddaughters need to pursue the partition action--you can force the sale of the home (2 outvotes her 1 vote) and then get her out by selling the home and giving her her 1/3rd.

It's not absolutely clear here whether there is just a will or just a trust, or both, but you need to talk to a trust attorney about your rights as a beneficiary--you can request a copy of the trust and an accounting and you can ask your attorney about how to ask this trustee to purchase a trustee's bond if there is no exemption from him doing so. And purchase the headstone yourself since he won't do it. Your husband has no rights to be named as co-trustee if the trust itself does not designate him as such.

You can go to the county courthouse probate court to get a copy of the will to see whether what you are being told is true or not. Please consult with an attorney to help you sort everything out.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dandy Don

And please make an official police report as well as dealing with the credit card company to officially report this thief's credit card fraud so that the estate won't have to pay for it.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Dun

Thanks for the advice Dandy Don. Your reply has been helpful.

About the credit card fraud, it happened almost two years ago. Can I still file a police report? As I said earlier, the only reason I filed the Will with the courts was so that I could make evil sister pay for the credit card charges (as Executrix, I can sue her on behalf of the estate and make HER pay).

Can I sue her for falsely contesting the Will?

BlondiePB

Can I sue her for falsely contesting the Will?
No, but you can have your attorney request to toll your attorney fees to her should she be the loosing party. I certainly hope you do not have the same wipmy attorney that you did when we discussed the guardianship.

lwpat

She doesn't even pay rent
If she is a co-owner she does not have to pay rent but she can't keep you from moving in with her. Just show up with all your stuff and move in.

Dandy Don

Go ahead and contact the police--they will tell you whether or not you can file it but you should insist on doing so no matter what they tell you. And then make an official complaint by certified letter with the credit card company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">