• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

family sweeping in out of the woodwork

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Eraser

Thank you for anyone that takes the time to read this.
I will be as detailed as possible this is in California.

My girlfriends mother committed suicide this past weekend, and the family is coming out of the woodwork. My girlfriend (Eve) is barely 18 (only 6 months ago) and is still in high school. Her parents are divorced for many years ( 13 years) she has one sister who is older then her and went with her father after the split, that side of the family has had a little contact with her mother since then. Since then she has returned to town this week proceeded to drain her mother’s bank accounts ($300 a day daily) to ‘keep the money from a probate lawyer getting it’ but is spending and shopping frivolously paid for the modest funeral etc. There is a will but it’s very dated (10 years old) and was written when both girls were minor and treats them as such. The rest of the family (the mother’s sisters) are moving in quickly sweeping up what few assets there are (car, house). There is no life insurance, all bank accounts are soley in the mothers name. There is no benefactor or other parties listed on the 401k. The house was supposed to be held by an attorney out of state where the mother lived at the time of the draft, but the attorney seems to have passed away as well.

What can and needs to be done? This girl is still in high school, she has no place to go as the home is closed for 2 months as a bio hazard and requires thousands just to clean. She is suppose to graduate if she changes schools she will not and I live 2 hours away.

I’m asking if anyone can point me into at least some basic directions I’m cluless as where to even begin and everyone else is moving so swiftly she’s going to be left homeless as well as bankrupt from this as well loose her scholarship by not being able to finish high school compounding on the loss of her mother.

Dandy Don

How is the sister able to access mom's bank accounts? Bank is supposed to put a freeze on this account until the executor of the estate claims it.

Need to consider hiring a probate attorney to handle what minor probate matters still need to be done--getting house (if it is fully paid for) transferred to names of legal heirs and claiming any other (looks like relatively small value) assets. Family who have taken assets will have to give them back when administrator takes charge.

If daughter is living in a home that is uninhabitable or unsafe, if she can't go live with other relatives, then contact your local department of social services/welfare to find another home or foster home where she might live, or if she attends a church she should ask the pastor if there is a local church family who might be willing to take her in.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

BlondiePB

Also, have your girlfriend immediately call the bank where her mother's accounts are and inform the bank that their client is deceased so the account can be frozen so the thieves cannot remove any more of the money.

Eraser

The Bank wants the death certificate which we are trying to get a copy of from her sister.

She is staying with me right now, I wouldn't leave her homeless. Its more of the 'what do we do' issue since the house is sealed for 6 weeks and has been cleaned. We've started calling probate lawyers already and have an appt for monday with one for free.

the will even as outdated as it is, labels her aunt as the executor but her aunt didn't want to do it so her older sister stepped up. Hopefully this lawyer will help.

BlondiePB

The Bank wants the death certificate which we are trying to get a copy of from her sister.
Okay. Hopefully, her sister is being co-operative. If not, the attorney will be able to assist in getting a death certificate from the funeral home or from another source with which the attorney will know about. Though Monday seems a long way away in these situations, it will be here soon. Just help your girlfriend hang in there and be a soft pillow for her to fall on.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">