• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Family Trust general question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sete67

Question, we have a Family Trust with all my mother's assets. There are 3 rental properties included in the trust. Everything in the trust is to be split evenly 3 ways with my brother and sister and there will be no issues amongst us. When Mom passes are we allowed to keep the trust intact and share the income or will we be required to split everything up into our individual titles? How does this work? Thanks. mike

curb1

The trust document should give you some direction. But, the best advice I can give would be to get the assets out of the trust and into your individual accounts. You might have all three of your names on the titles. Otherwise you will be filing taxes and doing a set of books for the trust. Generally the trust will be paying higher taxes than you as an individual. Is there cash as well as the rentals? Do you have ideas how you could split up the assets (maybe each of you with a rental)? Are there any debts?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">