• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Father Died, Can't Get Into Bank Account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snobdrblinkchik

CA

Actually it's my uncle that passed away, but I'm writing on behalf of my cousin (his daughter). My uncle came to the US as a legal resident in 2003. Not sure if this matters but he has an ex-wife, 4 children in his home country and 1 daughter that lives in GA.

In 10/08 he committed suicide and his daughter from GA came to CA to take care of all the funeral arrangements, including picking up the body, paying for everything(no insurance) and dealing with the cops since it wasn't a natural death. She has the only copy of the death certificate.

His only possessions were a WAMU bank account and car. The problem is that the bank won't give her the money in the account. She went into a WAMU in GA and brought the death certificate, but they since she wasn't listed as an heir for the account, she had to go to court and get some paperwork. After she went to the court, they said since he had no will the money goes to the govt(?) OR that she had to file another form which would cost $260, which isn't worth it since there's only $500 in the bank account.

QUESTION: Is there some law in GA that is making it so difficult for her to close the account? Do you think she'll encounter the same difficulty if she tried to close it in GA?

Sorry it's soo long-winded, but I wanted to get all the info out there. Thanks in advance.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
CA

Actually it's my uncle that passed away, but I'm writing on behalf of my cousin (his daughter). My uncle came to the US as a legal resident in 2003. Not sure if this matters but he has an ex-wife, 4 children in his home country and 1 daughter that lives in GA.

In 10/08 he committed suicide and his daughter from GA came to CA to take care of all the funeral arrangements, including picking up the body, paying for everything(no insurance) and dealing with the cops since it wasn't a natural death. She has the only copy of the death certificate.

His only possessions were a WAMU bank account and car. The problem is that the bank won't give her the money in the account. She went into a WAMU in GA and brought the death certificate, but they since she wasn't listed as an heir for the account, she had to go to court and get some paperwork. After she went to the court, they said since he had no will the money goes to the govt(?) OR that she had to file another form which would cost $260, which isn't worth it since there's only $500 in the bank account.

QUESTION: Is there some law in GA that is making it so difficult for her to close the account? Do you think she'll encounter the same difficulty if she tried to close it in GA?

Sorry it's soo long-winded, but I wanted to get all the info out there. Thanks in advance.
She will need to have herself appointed administrator of the estate. If it's not worth it to her, then let the money go.

tecate

This is a California issue. Give the bank a Probate Code Section 13101 affidavit. All children will need to sign.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">